Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'93 C1500 Cruise Control Gone Bad

ktisdale_2
11-04-2006, 04:46 PM
I have a '93 C1500 with a 350 with roughly 292K on the truck and engine. I have cruise control from the factory and I have never had a single problem with it. About 5K miles ago it started to act up going down the highway while the cruise was on. I would set it, then ease off the gas pedal and it would hold the set speed for a while then would start slowing down and would not speed back up or stay at one speed.

I checked the fuses and none were blown, and no corrosion was found either. I then took off the module that is mounted on the firewall inside the engine compartment. I broke it down and noticed the yellowish white "gear" inside was excessively worn and almost melted looking. So I replaced it with one from a junkyard that didn't have this problem. Once installed and taken for a test run, the cruise still did not work.

Can anybody shed some insight into what I can do to fix my cruise control? And also if anybody knows the root cause of this problem, please clue me in so I might avoid this in the future with this and other vehicles. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

jr.conover
11-04-2006, 05:43 PM
I too am having problems with mine. I have a 1993 Suburban, though. Same engine and I believe the same cruise control. I have talked to some of my family members about my problem, they seem to think I need to change the control lever on the steering wheel. One thing I do notice is that if I turn on my signal lights (the same lever) my gauges momentarily flicker. Mine started about a year ago with it coming off cruise unexpectedly. I hope someone can point us both in the rright direction.

mrbee
01-31-2007, 06:47 AM
I dunno if a 95 cruise is the same but it dont work at all.

FearlessFoe
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Check the brake light switch.. common problem with these trucks.. $7 part should be at the pivot point of the brake pedal

I dunno if this will work.. but sometimes you can just pull up on the pedal while driving to see if the cruise says on (like youre upshifting with a motorcycle.. push the pedal upwards)

hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!