Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What to use to clean the valve cover ?

Killa
11-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Im about to install new valve cover and replace with new seal. before I install the valve cover, I want it to be clean inside, what can I use to clean that ? and what kind of rvt can I use, black or blue ? thanks

defiancy
11-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Im about to install new valve cover and replace with new seal. before I install the valve cover, I want it to be clean inside, what can I use to clean that ? and what kind of rvt can I use, black or blue ? thanks

When you say you want to clean inside, are you talking about the top of the head? Because you don't want to clean that.

RtV? Use the high temp stuff. If I remember from doing my oil pan, that is the black stuff. But I don't even remember using RTV for my valve cover.

There is a valve cover gasket that goes on there.

Killa
11-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Under the valve cover . that what I want to clean, carb cleaner work ? or brake cleaner ?

defiancy
11-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Degreaser would probably work the best. Brake cleaner may get the job done too.

ricebike
11-04-2006, 04:52 PM
i 2nd degreaser; brk cleaner is too weak to remove that oil varnish...

blast it, let it soak for a couple minutes, rinse w/ water... blow dry w/ air compressor.

Killa
11-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I got new valve cover. Im gonna post some pix tonight.

Bak :
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5281/valvecoverkj2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

already had gasket and waiting for stainless bolts to come, then I install it at once. Here few question Im still confuse. I need to ask

it say I need to torque 2.3 ft-b, how do I do that, my torque wrench dont have that option .

should I put gasket on the valve cover first, before I install it on the engine, or I have to put the gasket on the engine , then put the valve cover on ?

where do I need to apply hi-temp silicon to ? thanks

defiancy
11-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I got new valve cover. Im gonna post some pix tonight.

already had gasket and waiting for stainless bolts to come, then I install it at once. Here few question Im still confuse. I need to ask

it say I need to torque 2.3 ft-b, how do I do that, my torque wrench dont have that option .

should I put gasket on the valve cover first, before I install it on the engine, or I have to put the gasket on the engine , then put the valve cover on ?

where do I need to apply hi-temp silicon to ? thanks

If you have an inch tq wrench your can convert it, that would be 28 inch lbs if I am not mistaken.

But if you put it on there hand tight and tq it down slightly that is about 2.3 ft lbs.

Put the gasket on the engine first and than put the valve cover on.

Like I said before, I don't remember using rtv for anything.

Thor06
11-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah, no RTV. I wouldnt us a torque wrench for something like that, just snug it up slightly.

gthompson97
11-04-2006, 06:59 PM
The reason for RTV is to hold the gasket to the VC while you put it on. You're supposed to put the gasket on the VC, use some only where it goes around the cams, IIRC. Just put the bolts in and snug them up a little bit with a wrench, it's not exactly vital that they are 2.3 ft lbs.

Thor06
11-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Just be very careful not to overtighten! Those holes love to strip/break.

defiancy
11-04-2006, 07:10 PM
The reason for RTV is to hold the gasket to the VC while you put it on. You're supposed to put the gasket on the VC, use some only where it goes around the cams, IIRC. Just put the bolts in and snug them up a little bit with a wrench, it's not exactly vital that they are 2.3 ft lbs.

It says nothing in the shop manual about putting RTV on the valve cover and the gasket before putting on the head.

It says to put the gasket on than put RTV on around the cam area of the valve cover. Than put the valve cover on.

And I just learned from the shop manual that it's called a rocker cover and not a valve cover. :) Learn something new everyday.

Killa
11-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Is all the bolt support to use washers ? I found 5 bolt ( that under the spark plug cover, missing washers :frown: . and the one that use waskers is different from the rest. by the way all the bolt support to be the same side, beside 8 long and 6 short ?

Killa
11-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I was drunk and go ahead install the valve cover ( screw the stainless steal bolt ), put very slighty silicon around the gasket, and here what it come out. take me 30 min.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6629/untitledfh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

gthompson97
11-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Very nice, very nice.

Mikelb
11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I like it a lot...

While we're on the subject (not to jack the thread), what are the arrows on the VC for?

mike8818
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
To show the way the wires are suposed to be ran.

Mikelb
11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
ah, ok... makes a little sense now... I didn't know what it was there for...lol

Add your comment to this topic!