AC Clutch on and off

97explorersport
11-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I have resently noticed that the AC clutch has been turning on and off quite fast. It dosen't happen all the time. I've checked the AC pressure and it seems fine any other things that you can think of?? Thanks..........Could there be a bad AC relay????

97explorersport
11-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I disconnected the low pressure switch and the recycling stopped. I have a feeling that the switch is kaput !!

shorod
11-04-2006, 03:10 PM
If you unplugged the switch, the cycling quit because the compressor clutch disengaged, right? That does not indicate the switch is bad, that indicates it's doing its job.

To me, it sounds like your system is either under or overcharged, or the clutch coil is failing.

-Rod

97explorersport
11-05-2006, 08:06 AM
If you unplugged the switch, the cycling quit because the compressor clutch disengaged, right? That does not indicate the switch is bad, that indicates it's doing its job.

To me, it sounds like your system is either under or overcharged, or the clutch coil is failing.

-Rod
or the switch is bad because the system IS fully charged.

shorod
11-05-2006, 07:01 PM
When you unplugged the switch, did the clutch disengage?

Even if the A/C system is fully charged AND the switches are working properly, the clutch will cycle. The clutch may keep the compressor engaged for multiple seconds, but it will still cycle. The switches are there for a reason, and if they go open-circuit, the compressor clutch should disengage to prevent damage to the A/C system.

Does your question pertain to a 1997 Explorer (I'm assuming that based on your username)?

-Rod

97explorersport
11-06-2006, 05:29 PM
When you unplugged the switch, did the clutch disengage?

Even if the A/C system is fully charged AND the switches are working properly, the clutch will cycle. The clutch may keep the compressor engaged for multiple seconds, but it will still cycle. The switches are there for a reason, and if they go open-circuit, the compressor clutch should disengage to prevent damage to the A/C system.

Does your question pertain to a 1997 Explorer (I'm assuming that based on your username)?

-Rod
Yes this is a 97 explorer I had the unit recharged recently and all was well with it. Then this weekend I noticed the ac compressor clicking on and off every 2/3 seconds while car was in the heater mode. I had the AC charge rechecked and it is complete. The shop seems to think a bad switch. I disconnected the switch and all is well for now (winter time) but I am leaning towards getting the switch done and a recharge again.(next summer)

shorod
11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
So the A/C compressor was running with the controls set to heat, not A/C or defrost? Do you have the manual HVAC controls or the electronic controls? If the manual controls, the A/C should not be engaged anyway unless the A/C or defrost mode is selected.

So with the switch unplugged, the compressor remains disengaged?

-Rod

97explorersport
11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
So the A/C compressor was running with the controls set to heat, not A/C or defrost? Do you have the manual HVAC controls or the electronic controls? If the manual controls, the A/C should not be engaged anyway unless the A/C or defrost mode is selected.

So with the switch unplugged, the compressor remains disengaged?

-Rod
As of right now I have the switch unplugged. It runs good and the AC clutch is not engaging. If IO connect the plug to the switch the AC compressor clicks on and off at a 2/5 second interval. I never noticed this before. I am leaning towards getting the switch replaced and having the system recharged. I thought that the AC Compressor only ran when the AC controls were in the AC spot.

shorod
11-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Okay, that makes sense to me. From earlier posts I thought you were implying that with the switch unplugged, the A/C still worked but did not cycle as often. That did not make sense to me.

The A/C compressor will engage when the defroster is selected and the ambient temperature is above freezing to remove the moisture from the air and make the defrost more effective.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!