Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

D16Z6 Question?

SuperGreen95EX
09-11-2002, 08:11 AM
Hello all. I am new to this particular forum and I just wanted to say hi.

Now for my question: I have a 95 Civic EX with the D16Z6 and I am stuck trying to decide whether to build it all motor or just get the Greddy turbo kit. How much HP can I expect from an all motor vs a turbo? Thanks guys. Sean:bandit:

mellowboy
09-11-2002, 09:34 AM
Well i don't know how much u can squeeze out an all motor on a sohc. I'd rather turbo sohc then go all motor on it.

Tofuboy
09-12-2002, 01:54 AM
What do you mean by build an all motor? are you going to take the engine apart and build it inturnally?

My opinion is to build up your motor's bottom half first, this is very creditcal for a high preformance engine. By doing so you can rev your engine at high RPM over the red line without worries. Then you can decide if you want to go NA or Turbo.

I personally like NA motor more and you can autocross without being bump to a higher level if you are new, but if you just want to drag race or power hungry, I guess turbo will be a better choice for you.

Frostbyte
09-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Tofuboy
What do you mean by build an all motor? are you going to take the engine apart and build it inturnally?

My opinion is to build up your motor's bottom half first, this is very creditcal for a high preformance engine. By doing so you can rev your engine at high RPM over the red line without worries. Then you can decide if you want to go NA or Turbo.

I personally like NA motor more and you can autocross without being bump to a higher level if you are new, but if you just want to drag race or power hungry, I guess turbo will be a better choice for you.

What are you talking about? To build the bottom end you have to find out if you want to do N/A or F/I first. When you build the bottom end you have to first find out if you are going to need higher compression pistons (N/A) or low compression pistons (F/I). Also building up the block is not what allows you to rev higher, it is building up the head and replacing the ECU is what let you do that. First thing you should do Port and Polish the head and build up the head but leave out the cam because if you are going to Turbo you want to get a Turbo cam that has a longer lift. To answer your question if you all motor the car you will be a bad ass but if you turbo it then you will be gaining more horse power then a N/A D16z6 motor. If you turbo do not go with a Greddy though. Get Apexi.

SilverY2KCivic
09-12-2002, 06:52 PM
D16 motors have been able to see up to 215hp at THE WHEELS before, if tuned right, and built up just right internally. This includes increasing the displacement from the standard 1590cc up to over 1900cc, adding in sleeves in the cyliders to strengthen the walls of them (something that MUST be done to see gains that big), and basically putting in top of the line internals from cams to pistons to reworking thr entire fuel system under the hood, some even prefer to yank the entire FI system and put a cabourator in it's place.

mellowboy
09-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Frostbyte

What are you talking about? To build the bottom end you have to find out if you want to do N/A or F/I first. When you build the bottom end you have to first find out if you are going to need higher compression pistons (N/A) or low compression pistons (F/I). Also building up the block is not what allows you to rev higher, it is building up the head and replacing the ECU is what let you do that. First thing you should do Port and Polish the head and build up the head but leave out the cam because if you are going to Turbo you want to get a Turbo cam that has a longer lift. To answer your question if you all motor the car you will be a bad ass but if you turbo it then you will be gaining more horse power then a N/A D16z6 motor. If you turbo do not go with a Greddy though. Get Apexi.

I agree:)

88_SC_CRX_Si
09-13-2002, 05:15 AM
High revving motor spend the $$$$$ on the top end & rods and cap bolts...

As far as sinking a whole lot $$$$$ on the lower end going FI... It's really not worth it per say (depending on the amount of boost, of course)...

Dentonation does not care wheather you have the best most expensive high tech blah blah yada yada yada parts. It will eat anything you put in there, and spite it out back in your face..., in a blink of an eye. hehehe

Spend the bucks on your "fuel" and ignition (depending on the amount of boost, C/R, and retard needed) systems....

"Noth'in like Induction..." ;)

Tofuboy
09-15-2002, 03:32 PM

what I meant by building the buttom half is changing the main bearing cap and it can extend the life of your engine under abuse and yes it WILL let you rev higher (much higher) than before, but to current extend due to the inturnals and head's limit. It is the same method as the Spoon's Civic Type B engine, by reinforceing the main bearing cap, the Type B engine can with stand 3 tons of vabrations, it also allow the engine to rev up to 1,1000 RPM. Of course you will need a new programed ECU to bring you to the high rev point.

This will favor the NA and the turbo application, sure it is not the best way if you want maxium power out of the engine because of the stock inturnals are not upgraded, but how many people can affort to re-build a whole engine with all upgraded parts? Not to mention the labor that it will cost you, and don't even try to tell me that you can do it yourself, because you can't, not without the proper tools and equipments which I doubt most of the people in this room has access to. If you do have the money to do such of mod, I think you would rather buy a faster car to begin with, so let's not pretent you are some expert that knows everything and not everyone's has a mill in their pocket to spend.

Most people over look this point has no experience before hand and not understanding why (hint for frostbyte), their engine will spit the crank shaft right out of the bottom as soon as they try to push it to the limit. And PLEASE try to realize that being fast is not about how much money you have, it's about how much skills you have.

Frostbyte
09-16-2002, 02:48 PM
HAHAHA you are such a lame ass. It is soo funny when people come in here and talk out of their ass. Thank you for respeaking something some riceboy told you. Mil to spend? What he is looking to do may cost at the most 7 grand. Even when you have someone else do it for you. Also I don't know if you know this or not but when you put a comma in numbers you could three to the left from the end, like this 11,000 not 1,1000. Go get a brain and then come back and speak the truth.

-=BOOMER=-
09-16-2002, 05:55 PM

I personally like NA motor more and you can autocross without being bump to a higher level if you are new

Actualy doing ether will bump you in autocross unless your in novice.

And if your new they wont bump you at all.
Novice class is novice class, you run against the newbs.

mellowboy
09-16-2002, 06:07 PM

Not to mention the labor that it will cost you, and don't even try to tell me that you can do it yourself, because you can't, not without the proper tools and equipments which I doubt most of the people in this room has access to. If you do have the money to do such of mod, I think you would rather buy a faster car to begin with, so let's not pretent you are some expert that knows everything and not everyone's has a mill in their pocket to spend.

Thats so not true man. My friend and his bro both drives a fully built gsr turbo powered 92 hatches. They did it in there garage! So i don't know where u get that info man but u can build engines at your own home if u have tools.

mellowboy
09-16-2002, 06:17 PM

And PLEASE try to realize that being fast is not about how much money you have, it's about how much skills you have.

Thats not true also. Why buy something fast? You gonna spend alot of money buyin a new car and u can just use that money to build your car FASTER! Yes you have to have money and if you have skills then theres no labor charge is there? Theres ppl on this board that have skills and have built motors. I'm doin mine in december and goin N/A. Goin a N/A is cheaper than goin turbo fully built. I'm not sure goin N/A on a sohc is all that? Thats why i say go turbo.

Frostbyte
09-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mellowboy

Thats not true also. Why buy something fast? You gonna spend alot of money buyin a new car and u can just use that money to build your car FASTER! Yes you have to have money and if you have skills then theres no labor charge is there? Theres ppl on this board that have skills and have built motors. I'm doin mine in december and goin N/A. Goin a N/A is cheaper than goin turbo fully built. I'm not sure goin N/A on a sohc is all that? Thats why i say go turbo.

You the Man! That is so true what you said. Going N/A on a SOHC d16z6 is not that bad you may be able to get it up to 200+ horses but I plan on going F/I myself.

SmoovSol
10-17-2002, 03:15 AM
why dont we all take a lesson from gude, all motor sohc crx under 10sec 1/4 miles, it can be done, I have seen sohc's up against h22 powered civics all the time in the NHRA circuit. Lol you dont need that much skill to do an engine swap, I just put in an LS into a crx and swapped a newer head onto a 92 celica and turbo charged it, all in the kids garage. It took some time but hey, if ur not willing to learn from it and just give up then u will just fuck it all up. Approach it with an open mind, tools, and a haynes man lol. You will be ok with it. I have a sohc that runs pretty nicely. Apexi turbo soon, I reccomend doing what you want, you dont have the money for the rebuild, buy a turbo run it at like 5-7psi with a h/p head gasket and sleep on it while u save up money for shit like new rods, pistons, rings, retainers, springs and all sorts of shit like that. Don't be held down be different, and as this being my first post in a while, wasssssssuupppppp fellllasss

Add your comment to this topic!