Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bolt problems

eclipsed at 3am
11-03-2006, 08:40 PM
ok im reeeeeaaaally pissed off.

i just got the new exhaust manifold in, and im in the process of taking the old one out. i got 3 of the 4 bolts that connect the manifold to the turbo. the 4th bolt, a real pain in the ass, is the top right one, err...the one closest to the block, on the right. i tried to get the nut under the manifold with a wrench, but i couldnt get any wrenches in the tiny space, and eventually the nut just rounded off.

oh, btw, my turbo doesnt have threads in it, there are 4 bolts going into 4 nuts. i mention this just because i know on some cars, the bolts just thread into the turbo.

anyways i eventually just unbolted the downpipe from the turbo to pull it out more and get better access to it, and the nut is completely rounded off. so i clamped vice grips on the nut and got a breaker bar for the bolt, and broke 4 sockets in a matter of 15mins. tomorrow im gonna go out and buy an impact socket and use that. i just have one question, anyone have any other ideas for getting stubborn bolts out? i dont care about damaging the bolt or nut, because i have more. its just such a tiny space other wise id take a hacksaw to it or something.

also, does anyone know if autozone or the actual mitsubishi dealer would have the gasket for the j-pipe? thanks

defiancy
11-04-2006, 12:14 AM
ok im reeeeeaaaally pissed off.

i just got the new exhaust manifold in, and im in the process of taking the old one out. i got 3 of the 4 bolts that connect the manifold to the turbo. the 4th bolt, a real pain in the ass, is the top right one, err...the one closest to the block, on the right. i tried to get the nut under the manifold with a wrench, but i couldnt get any wrenches in the tiny space, and eventually the nut just rounded off.

oh, btw, my turbo doesnt have threads in it, there are 4 bolts going into 4 nuts. i mention this just because i know on some cars, the bolts just thread into the turbo.

anyways i eventually just unbolted the downpipe from the turbo to pull it out more and get better access to it, and the nut is completely rounded off. so i clamped vice grips on the nut and got a breaker bar for the bolt, and broke 4 sockets in a matter of 15mins. tomorrow im gonna go out and buy an impact socket and use that. i just have one question, anyone have any other ideas for getting stubborn bolts out? i dont care about damaging the bolt or nut, because i have more. its just such a tiny space other wise id take a hacksaw to it or something.

also, does anyone know if autozone or the actual mitsubishi dealer would have the gasket for the j-pipe? thanks

Try using a wrench and getting a bar or something that you can either put over the open end side, or somehow rig up a breaker bar for the wrench and try that.

If you already broke four sockets odds are you either your sockets really suck or you need to try something else.

Odds are that impact socket won't break and if it does. . . damn.

As for the gasket best bet is either NAPA or the dealer.

eclipsed at 3am
11-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Try using a wrench and getting a bar or something that you can either put over the open end side, or somehow rig up a breaker bar for the wrench and try that.

If you already broke four sockets odds are you either your sockets really suck or you need to try something else.

Odds are that impact socket won't break and if it does. . . damn.

As for the gasket best bet is either NAPA or the dealer.

yeah im betting the impact socket does the trick.

another question, im going to sears for the socket, and i was gonna stop at mitsubishi nearby to pick up 4 nuts to fit those bolts. would they have nuts that fit those bolts? would napa have a selection of temperature hardened/heat treated/nitrated/whatever nuts?

the nuts i had on before were from lowes home improvement...lol. not the best, but last time i had the exhaust manifold assembly apart, i was in the sticks on a saturday night, and thats all i had. these regular old nuts are probably why the one is stuck so bad. when i was trying to get them off, one of the mitsubishi bolts broke, and the other two stripped really bad, bcause the nuts sort of got their own "heat treatment" and fused themselves with the bolt.

defiancy
11-04-2006, 03:40 AM
yeah im betting the impact socket does the trick.

another question, im going to sears for the socket, and i was gonna stop at mitsubishi nearby to pick up 4 nuts to fit those bolts. would they have nuts that fit those bolts? would napa have a selection of temperature hardened/heat treated/nitrated/whatever nuts?

the nuts i had on before were from lowes home improvement...lol. not the best, but last time i had the exhaust manifold assembly apart, i was in the sticks on a saturday night, and thats all i had. these regular old nuts are probably why the one is stuck so bad. when i was trying to get them off, one of the mitsubishi bolts broke, and the other two stripped really bad, bcause the nuts sort of got their own "heat treatment" and fused themselves with the bolt.

I'm not quite sure if the dealer would have nuts for them seeing that the bolts don't normally have nuts on them in the first place. They definately have more turbo bolts.

Your best bet is to go to Autozone, napa or whatever and bring one of the bolts with you. Usually they have a sizing tool that you can screw your bolt in to see what size it is and what kind of nut it needs. Than you just pick four of them up. As far as a heat treated nut or what not, I have no idea you'll just have to look at the auto store when you get there.

Add your comment to this topic!