Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Shaking!

computerpulse
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Folks I am in serious need of your smarts. 4 Automotive Shops cannot help. I have a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 3.3L, That has the following problems: 1st installed new motor mounts, axles, Struts, Shocks and Transmission, brakes and Tires to try and stop this. One shop blames the axles, the other the motor mounts, the other transmission. I don't know. Ok first off when I gently push the gas then release it the van bumps. It acts like UJoints if it had any. The transmission shop does not know what it is. They say it's not the transmission. The other is when I accellerate the right front wheel shakes when I release the gas it stops. So it seems that it only happens when the axles are pushed by the transmission. Not bad but drives me nuts. I have not been able to find one person of any help at the repair centers. They all blame the other shops.

One more thing. Van is currently with the transmission shop. 2 weeks they have had this now. One more issue they are having is after you drive this about 10 or 15 miles and slow down to make a stop and the transmission shifts back down, sometimes is jerks and when this happens it sticks in low or second gear and won't come out. Pull over turn the vehicle off for a little while and start over it may work for 20 miles or better but will eventually do it again. Transmission shop put a new valve housing, and put in a second selenoid pack and computer. They are at a loss.

Thanks
Ed:frown:

earlyrizr
11-03-2006, 08:17 AM
what fluid did the tranny shop use?might be loose/damaged torque converter

RIP
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Get under there and try twisting the halfshafts. Should be little if any movement in the in the joints. If they are ok and the transmission shop doesn't have any luck, it's high time you cut your losses and find a new vehicle. Don't understand why you would put all that money into a 16 year old van with a suspect safety and reliability record and few if any safety features. You have to let it go!

Bernard Feltzer
11-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Your transmission is defective, that is why it is going into limp mode.
You should replace it with a factory rebuilt, that tranny has been updated many times since 1990. The rebuilt will have the updates installed.

Add your comment to this topic!