Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need VSS 94 Passport 3.2L 4X4

D4rk3y35
11-01-2006, 09:22 PM
If anyone has a VSS that will work in a 94 Passport 3.2L 4X4
Send me a message...

amigo-2k
11-01-2006, 09:53 PM
whats a VSS?

trooperbc
11-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Vehicle Speed Sensor.
it sends vehicle speed info to the computer (ECM) via the speedometer/meter assembly.

it is located on rear of transmission. it's cylindrical with its wire loom coming out the top.

1992 trooper 3.2l v6 helm factory workshop manual
The vehicle speed sensor is mounted to the transmission. the transmission pinion shaft rotates and generates four pulses per one rotation. the rate at which the pulses are generated indicates the vehicle snpeed. the vehicle speed sensor (incorporated in the speedometer) uses the the pulses to control needle movement and sends vehicle speed information the the engine control module (ECM) and the cruise control unit. the speedometer sends 4096 pulses per mile and the frequency indicates the vehicle speed.

now maybe D4rk3y35 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=264933) will tell us why he needs one, especially if its different than his speedometer isn't working. . .

//bc

D4rk3y35
11-02-2006, 04:18 PM
VSS is on mounted to the transfer case on 4WD
Haynes says the PCM (powertrain control module) uses the information from the VSS to operate the cruise control system, speedometer, and TCC (torque converter clutch)
Yesterday I was driving home and every time I had to stop at a light it would die, started right back up but when I shifted to drive it would die.
More info http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=631823
Thats why I think I need one. I am interested in you opinon on this. I'm on a small budget and if its something elce i want to know.

trooperbc
11-04-2006, 12:19 AM
that's interesting that the vss is located differently on your rodeo than on my 1992 trooper (4wd).
it's possible to test the sensor in a general way by backprobing the connector and measuring voltage with a dvom. you jack up the rear and run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground (full jack supports, etc.)
i wouldn't want to be under there during this checking, so i guess some real long test leads for the dvom, or backprobe a different connector or at the computer (you will need a good and accurate schematic)

anyway, as you increase the engine speed (or more accurately, the vehicle speed, i.e. miles per hour), the voltage should also increase. it will at least tell you if the sensor is behaving as it should or not.

btw, have you crawled under there to check the wiring at the vss? it's real possible to snag a wire under there and get the symptoms that the sensor is bad. also follow the wires and check the connectors.

//bc

(( note: boldface above added as a later edit. thanks Canucklehead...))

Canucklehead
11-04-2006, 06:32 AM
anyway, as you increase the engine speed, the voltage should also increase. it will at least tell you if the sensor is behaving as it should or not.What does engine speed have to do with VSS output?

surferfletch
11-04-2006, 08:05 AM
He's testing it with the wheels off the ground.

Canucklehead
11-04-2006, 08:47 AM
He's testing it with the wheels off the ground.Oops, missed that part.

trooperbc
11-04-2006, 04:29 PM
What does engine speed have to do with VSS output?

yeah, you're right...wheels off the ground and in-gear, i should have said
vehicle speed, i.e. miles per hour

good to point that out, i edited the original post

//bc

D4rk3y35
11-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm glad to get all the reply but some of you need to read and not skim the previous post..
Background
1994 Honda Passport 4X4 3.2L V6
VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is known bad... As per Haynes Test
"Raise the vehicle and support on jack stands. Locate sensor. Back probe with ignition key ON. Turn rear wheel by hand, voltage should increase" Short version.
Now I'm having problems driving the vehicle.
"I was driving home and every time I had to stop at a light it would die, started right back up but when I shifted to drive it would die."
I think it is the VSS... So I need a working one the will work in my 94 4X4 Passport 3.2L
Read my post for this then...
If you think its something else let me know... I need to fix this.
Thanks

trooperbc
11-04-2006, 10:51 PM
... but some of you need to read and not skim the previous post......I need to get this fixed.
Thanks

oh, so sorry.
so get it fixed.

//bc

buddy1
11-10-2006, 10:57 AM
i have a spare one in my old trans that i pulled out trans counter shaft was was bad when i bought the car it a 95.5 rodeo they are suppose to be the same as a honda,check first. anayways the only gear i had in the trans was forth, so i put the transfer box in low and and drove it around a little and the speedometer seem to work.its also its ia 4x4 maybe it what you need.e-mail is pungtang33@sbcglobal.net or call 530-354-6622 im in northern calif

Add your comment to this topic!