Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bbo Bannerman Motors, stay away!

MagicRat
11-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Sure, we all expect dealers to be an unscrupulous lot. If we find an honest one, we are delighted. It is sad that consumers have such a low expectation of honesty among dealer.

I called Bob Bannerman Motors Ltd, (Toronto, Canada) www.bobbannerman.com looking for a good deal on a Dodge Durango, new or a demo.
The salesman told me on the phone they had a new, unused 2005 Durango in the show room, for "under $30,000."

Lie#1:
I went to the dealership amd found the car. A salesman named Asim Kumar told me the asking price was $35,000. I confronted him with the phone quote and asked him how the price had inflated so much when I walked through the door.

He said that it is a $35,000 truck and denied any knowledge that anyone would quote it for less. He also said they have no salesman by the name of the one I called. I found this insulting. Does Asim think I am a liar amd made up this story? This is a variation on the classic "bait and switch" routine.

Lie #2: I asked both the salesman on the phone why they still had a 2 year old unused truck. I knew the answer. New vehicles are the property of the manufacturer or their financing arm, and are never owned by the dealer.
Occasionally the manufacturer accumulates old stock, due to the inequities of manufacturing schedules and demand. They will ship old stock to dealer with deep discounts attached as an incentive for the dealer to sell the old vehicles.

The phone salesman said they had "ordered too many of them." What, ordered too many 2 years ago? No dealer or manufacturer would ever tolerate having money wrapped up in an unsold truck for 2 years!!

Lie#3: I asked Asim the same thing. I even helped him by telling him I knew how manufaturers delt with old stock. He said that Chrysler recently shipped the truck to them, 2 years old and they had no choice but to take it. (okay so far) But he then said the dealership bought the truck themselves!! This is simply untrue!! Dealerships do not do this!!
If a dealer truly DID buy they car, they by law (in Ontario) could not charge freight (about $1000) and would have to get an emissions test!! A dealer simply would not incur this expense on something they were looking to sell.

So, three obvious lies to manipulate me into buying a 2 year old truck, with a depreciated value of much less than the $35 k they are asking.
Now I simply do not believe ANYTHING they say, and I would discourage you from going there.

Add your comment to this topic!