Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch assembly or transmission?

NOFX0617
10-31-2006, 09:04 PM
So I have had this same problem for the past couple months and just cant seem to figure it out....There is a grinding of some sort going on somewhere in the drivetrain...I thought it was only doing it while it was in gear but now I hear it at idle....but the sound goes away when I push the clutch in....the sound gets much louder when I am in gear and driving...anyone have any ideas?

MishaA
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM
First thought would be about throw out bearing.

And Hondas do not do this to their owners:rofl:

NOFX0617
10-31-2006, 09:54 PM
About 3 or 4 months ago I replace the throw out bearing, fork, flywheel, and clutch disk....so I hope thats not what it is...but its possible...

mike8818
10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
First thought would be about throw out bearing.

And Hondas do not do this to their owners:rofl:

Do you own a dsm. Probably not. Almost all there cars on here can beat your honduh (honda) just so you honda lover dont get confused. LOL

MishaA
10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Do you own a dsm. Probably not. Almost all there cars on here can beat your honduh (honda) just so you honda lover dont get confused. LOL
Dude, open another thread if you want to argue. Your fellow dsm driver needs help, not blah-blah-blah. I was just kidding about his sig - if you have such a sig, expect some kidding around it. And yes, I do own a dsm you probably never heard about. And no, I do not think that horsepower is the only important thing about cars...

mike8818
10-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Dude, open another thread if you want to argue. Your fellow dsm driver needs help, not blah-blah-blah. I was just kidding about his sig - if you have such a sig, expect some kidding around it. And yes, I do own a dsm you probably never heard about. And no, I do not think that horsepower is the only important thing about cars...

Hey i was messing around too. You think i care about hp mines completly stock and broke down.

So I have had this same problem for the past couple months and just cant seem to figure it out....There is a grinding of some sort going on somewhere in the drivetrain...I thought it was only doing it while it was in gear but now I hear it at idle....but the sound goes away when I push the clutch in....the sound gets much louder when I am in gear and driving...anyone have any ideas?

Have you checked the lube in the tranny mabye its from the gears not being lubricated enough.

NOFX0617
10-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah...I drained the gear oil in the transmission the transfer case and the rear diff....and refilled them....but still the same problem...and there werent any big chunks of anything in any of them....

gthompson97
11-01-2006, 03:00 AM

You have 31 posts and aren't even in the correct forum. If you actually have a DSM, then put it in your sig so we don't just think your another honduh idiot that's roaming the E/T/L forum starting shit.

Oh, and what's this DSM that we have probably never heard about? I guess we didn't get the memo that Mitsu. made a top secret DSM that they only sold to n00bie honduh drivers. :greddy2:

mike8818
11-01-2006, 03:52 AM
You have 31 posts and aren't even in the correct forum. If you actually have a DSM, then put it in your sig so we don't just think your another honduh idiot that's roaming the E/T/L forum starting shit.

Oh, and what's this DSM that we have probably never heard about? I guess we didn't get the memo that Mitsu. made a top secret DSM that they only sold to n00bie honduh drivers. :greddy2:

:1:

MishaA
11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Kid, what is your problem?

You have 31 posts and Number of posts has nothing to do with real life experience.
aren't even in the correct forum. I did not start the thread, I was answering.
If you actually have a DSM, Yes, I have 92' turbodiesel Galant
then put it in your sig I do not put my cars in my sig, that's my personal preference and none of your business.

On a side note: all this crap is off topic. Do you have anything to say on the topic, or you are just roaming around bashing people?

Mikelb
11-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm just gonna ignore all the above posts and do my best to answer the original question...

I would lean towards the throwout bearing. I'm not sure why they do this, but my car does it as well... when I'm pressing the clutch, I do not havethe rattle, but when I let off the clutch it rattles.

This has happened on two TOBs. That is the diagnoses both times. It doesn't really seem to affect performance (never mind that my tranny just self-destructed due to a faulty TOB and clutch fork)

NOFX0617
11-01-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm just gonna ignore all the above posts and do my best to answer the original question...

I would lean towards the throwout bearing. I'm not sure why they do this, but my car does it as well... when I'm pressing the clutch, I do not havethe rattle, but when I let off the clutch it rattles.

This has happened on two TOBs. That is the diagnoses both times. It doesn't really seem to affect performance (never mind that my tranny just self-destructed due to a faulty TOB and clutch fork)

Did the noise get louder while you were driving?

Mikelb
11-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Did the noise get louder while you were driving?

it's been awhile since I've driven it and since that happened, but I'm gonna say no... but I could hear it at idle...

maybe that's road noise... idk... (steps to side) continue

MishaA
11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I do not really know your exact tranny design, but this could also be bearings/spacers on your mainshaft. Either way looks like you have to tear your car apart. Sorry for you, man.

NOFX0617
11-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah....I am trying to figure out all the possiblities before I have to freaking pull everything out to get to the tranny and pull it out.....

blk_srt
11-01-2006, 08:07 PM
The TOB would ONLY make noise when you have the clutch disengaged(pedel pushed in) if it only makes noise when the clutch is engaged that rules that out. If I understand your problem correctly the noise happens at idle with your foot off of the clutch correct? If that be the case its most likely the input shaft bearing.

NOFX0617
11-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Hmm....I guess that could be....and yes you are correct...It makes a noise at idle when the clutch pedal is not pressed in....but the the noise gets much louder while the car is in gear and under load....does that sound like it could be the same thing....or do you think that might be a whole other problem completly?

gthompson97
11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
The noise your hearing at idle and the noise under load are most likely the same noise. And you're most likely going to have to pull the tranny and do some diagnosis. Good luck man.

corning_d3
11-01-2006, 11:19 PM
I second the input shaft bearing idea. I just finished 2 5-speeds, one from a geo, one from a ranger. Both had the same symptoms and both spit the input bearing rollers at me when I dis-assembled them. The geo transmission had a rear mainshaft bearing out, too.

EDMUND65
11-01-2006, 11:30 PM
sorry i had to...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/crazydriver7686/iqvv7.jpg

i hate people who think they know everything.. answer the damn question and move on.... post what you think it could be... sounds like a throw out bearing to me... but i could be wrong..

NOFX0617
11-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Awesome guys....thanks for all the ideas....I knew I was going to have to take it all apart to figure it out but I just wanted to get some ideas before I jump in there....if you can think of anything else that would be great too...

blk_srt
11-02-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty much 100% sure its the input shaft bearing

Mikelb
11-02-2006, 12:33 PM
to replace that, IIRC, you'll have to disassemble the tranny, correct?

corning_d3
11-02-2006, 01:34 PM
I shouldn't answer for fear I may make someone "dumber", but usually yes. Even if you don't have to, it's always a good idea to inspect all the internals just in case some bearing parts decided to fall inside.

blk_srt
11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
you have to take the whole thing apart. Its not bad if you know what you are doing

NOFX0617
11-02-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a friend that builds transmissions for a living....so he is going to help me out....

blk_srt
11-02-2006, 05:13 PM
you should have no trouble then

Mikelb
11-03-2006, 07:16 AM
^Lucky Bastard (no offence, just a saying of mine)...

I'm envious... I just bought a tranny and it is cracked on the end. I am gonna swap my cap for that one, but I didn't wanna have to do that... I will probably have to end up swapping internals...

Add your comment to this topic!