Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you get past the anti-theft system?

Marialyce
10-31-2006, 07:47 PM
We are looking to buy a 97 lhs from a dealer, cheap, but they can't get it started. the fuel pump cycles, but the starter won't engage. the car alarm goes off when you try to start it. We have tried to lock the doors with the key and then unlock it, but it doesn't help. It seems to be an after market alarm, because it just makes a noise inside the car and not the usual lights and horn. Is it the alrm that is cuasing it to not start? should we steer clear of this car? We have a 96 LHS that possibly needs a complete wiring harness replacement, which we were told that it would cost us $600. to get done. We were going to get the 97 and use the 96 for parts if needed.

ivan355
11-01-2006, 03:58 PM
If it`s an aftermarket unit it should have a transmiter. If not check under the hood for a switch, it should be by the hood fender area, or there may be a switch under the dash along the steering collum. There maybe a switch hide in the glove box also.
Good luck.

windowpane
11-03-2006, 07:35 PM
If it is an aftermarket alarm the only way I can imagine you getting it to start would be to disarm it, if you or the dealer had the transmitter, by pass it with the correct switch sequence with the hidden 'valet' switch if equipped but there is no way to know what the sequence is or lastly and your best bet remove the aftermarket alarm.

If I was going to buy a car I could not start I would buy it as a car that WON'T start because there is something wrong with the engine etc. The dealer should price it accordingly or let you remove the aftermarket alarm before buying it etc otherwise I wouldn't buy it.

JMO But the dealer 'lost' the remote when the car was traded in for a reason.:naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!