Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Crank Pulley

steviek
10-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Well once again the dsm never ceases to amaze me. When I started my car up yesterday I heard this violent knocking noise. SO I opened up my hood and could see my crank pulley shaking and knocking like it had nothing holding it down. I tried to tighten it with my wrench but it was not budging. So anyways I can't really bother with it right now cause I'm wicked busy. So i was just wondering if its still ok if I drive it for a couple of days. I figure if the belt snaps i loose my alternator. Anything you guys want to shout at me about?

gthompson97
10-31-2006, 07:04 PM
It was JUST the pulley moving right, and not the whole crank? The belt wont' "snap", it'll just start shredding and fall off, and no, your alternator should be fine, but if the belt snaps, your car will eventually die because of no charge. You probably could drive it like that, but you could ruin both the pulley and the belt. You'll probably have to take the tension off the belts to re-tighten the pulley.

steviek
11-01-2006, 01:38 PM
its hard to tell if its just the pulley or the whole crank how can I do that ?

Blackcrow64
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Wait, so is your harmonic balancer seperating? If so then you need to replace it ASAP before driving it. It would be a shame to see it lose that belt and have it get twisted into your timing belt and throw it out of time...

defiancy
11-01-2006, 06:01 PM
If the alternator belt snaps the car will overheat. That belt also drives the water pump.

Blackcrow64
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
And the power steering pump... Hmmm... You need to just fix it Steve. lol

steviek
11-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh man my luck is so back and forth.... Well whatever ill fix it this weekend I guess. Thanks boys.

Add your comment to this topic!