Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Valve grinding resources?

mza1979m
10-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Can anyone here please direct me to an informative website/Internet resource that displays information pertaining to valve grinding? I want as much detail about everything there is to know about valve grinding and how to do it.
Thanks in advance.

KimMG
11-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Check out your local junior college, night school, or vocational school. You maybe able to find a low cost class where you can get hands-on experience. In my opinion and experience, I have found it better to actually demonstrate and let the person I was showing how to grind the valves do the grinding and fitting in the head.

mza1979m
11-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific. I am a college student majoring in Motive Power and I must do a lap prep for "Valve Grind". However, I'm finding it difficult to locate a good online source for my research.
I don't know a whole lot about valve grinding, which is why I need to know everything about it before I begin the actual work on it in class.

MT-2500
11-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Can anyone here please direct me to an informative website/Internet resource that displays information pertaining to valve grinding? I want as much detail about everything there is to know about valve grinding and how to do it.
Thanks in advance.

Your local machine shop that does valve grinding and cylinder head work would be a good source of information.
Also engine or cylinder head rebuilders may help you some.
Good Luck
MT

MT-2500
11-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks in advance.

When I started out years ago almost ever repair shop had a valve grinding machine and done there own valve grinding.
45 years ago I could grind the valves and do a tun up on a chev 6 cyl before noon.
Now I am luckie if I can even get a tune up before noon.:grinno: :lol:
But any more heads require a lot of machine work with a valve grind job.
Now heads need to be sent out to a machibe shop for head work.
Many needs valve the guides replace and heads checked for cracked and surface checked for warpage and other stuff that only a repier shop can do anymore.
MT

mza1979m
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Guys, I'm looking for an ONLINE source of information on how to do a valve grind. This is only a prep for a school project, among 20 other preps. I'm certainly not going to a local machine shop to learn about it because I'm just looking for a step by step guide so I can hand something in to the teacher.
Thanks for trying anyway.

MT-2500
11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Guys, I'm looking for an ONLINE source of information on how to do a valve grind. This is only a prep for a school project, among 20 other preps. I'm certainly not going to a local machine shop to learn about it because I'm just looking for a step by step guide so I can hand something in to the teacher.
Thanks for trying anyway.

Well if you want good info on it go to the source.
I dought if you are going to find much online on that subject.
You need to do some legwork on that one.
Good Luck
MT

KimMG
11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Have you tried the databases the school library subscribes to?

I found this while doing a quick google search

http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechTech/Automotive01/default.asp?unNum=2&lesNum=4&modNum=4

MT-2500
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Have you tried the databases the school library subscribes to?

I found this while doing a quick google search

http://64.78.42.182/sweethaven/MechTech/Automotive01/default.asp?unNum=2&lesNum=4&modNum=4

Not bad info there KimMG
The old google search may save him some leg work on it.:grinyes: :lol: :grinno:
MT

Add your comment to this topic!