Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Isopropyl alcohol

Katsura
10-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Hi all, how effective is isopropyl alcohol used as airbrush and work bench cleaner?

Currently after spraying lacqure paint (TS etc) I use a cellulose thinner to clean the airbrush, and although wearing a mask and gloves I still don't feel that safe (my work space is the living room of the flat).

I want to move on to a less toxic cleaner, would 99% isopropyl alcohol do? How explosive is this substance? Is it safe to flush it with water down sink? And does it work also on Acrylic and Enamel as well?

On that thought, since isopropyl is a solvent for paint, can it be used as a cheap paint thinner? lol.

Cheers.

bvia
10-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Only works on acrylic based paints (this includes Tamiya's TS line as well since it an acrylic based synthetic lacquer). Best to use 95%+ and while you CAN flush it down the drain, I would not advise you to do so as the fumes ARE combustible.

hth,
Bill

cyberkid
10-31-2006, 06:15 AM
I use hardware store lacquer thinner, strong stuff but doesn't smell that bad and its a lot cheaper. Just one thing though, if you have a plastic coating on your work area... don't let the thinner sit there or it will eat at the plastic.

As to disposing of it... I have a 'modeling trash bin',which means that its mainly filled with trash from modeling...eg: masking tape, tissues... this is where I 'dunk' the thinner...I'm personally opposed to pouring it down the drain... as that's harmful to the enviroment and could more directly effect us. As for the trash... its burned by the local government... then filtered and what-not before anything (air included) leaves the plant..

I normally use 'Mr. Hobby Tool Cleaner' to end off cleaning my AB.

Katsura
10-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

Since this topic came up, what is the best way to dispose of isopropyl and other volatile thinner/ stripping liquid? Down the drain seem to be the wrong way to do it and there's no local goverment advise on what to do with these.

Add your comment to this topic!