92 Toyota Pickup 22RE turns over won't start

scoot52
10-30-2006, 10:26 PM
I just replaced the timing chain, etc. on my 92 Toyota pickup, 22RE, and it is still making the same sound as it was before I replaced the chain. When I turn the key, the crankshaft, pulleys, etc. turn, but the only sound the engine makes is similar to what happens when you turn the key while the engine is running. I've tried turning the crankshaft a little, in case it was a problem with the flywheel teeth or something, but it still makes the same sound. Any ideas?

KimMG
11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
What is the condition of the cap and rotor? If the starter is spinning the motor, you are not having trouble with the teeth on the flywheel. If the starter is not turning the motor and the motor is not locked up, you may need a new starter.

scoot52
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
What is the condition of the cap and rotor? If the starter is spinning the motor, you are not having trouble with the teeth on the flywheel. If the starter is not turning the motor and the motor is not locked up, you may need a new starter.

The rotor and cap seem to be okay. The rotor turns when I hit the engine. I just replaced the starter and battery when I did the timing chain. The only thing I get is a sound almost like when you turn the key accidentally while the engine is already running. Nothing else. The motor never turns over like it's gonna start. Could it possibly be the valves bent or broken?

KimMG
11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
New parts aren't always good parts. Where did you get the starter? Turn the motor by hand (use a wrench on the bolt to the crank pulley) 45 to 90 degrees and see if the starter will engage the flywheel and turn the motor.

Can you turn the motor by hand? Watch the valves go up and down to see if they are opening and closing.

scoot52
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Let me see if I can explain it properly. The engine turns. I've turned it by hand and I can turn the key and the crankshaft, rotor, everything turns, but it never sounds like it's gonna start. It always sounds like something's hanging up. Tomorrow, I'm gonna check the spark and fuel. If nothing then, I guess I'll pull the cover and check the valves.

KimMG
11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Have you set the valve lash? Checked the spark plugs? Were there any broken parts of the timing chain guides in the motor? Have you done a compression test?

scoot52
11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Have you set the valve lash? Checked the spark plugs? Were there any broken parts of the timing chain guides in the motor? Have you done a compression test?

I am going to check the spark plugs tomorrow. The timing chain guides were not broken, but I did replace them anyway. I did not remove the head when I replaced the chain, so I didn't see the valves. How do I set the valve lash? Also, can I do a compression test if the engine won't run? Thanks for your help.

KimMG
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
A compression test requires that the motor be spun by the starter, not actually running. Remove the valve cover, you'll see the valve stems and the adjusters.
Are your spark plug wires hooked up correctly? Remove the valve cover and turn the motor by hand until you are a top dead center on cylinder #1 (both valve stems will be at their highest point and the piston will be at it's highest point in the cylinder. Look to see what spark plug wire the rotor is pointing at. It should be pointing at #1. It is possible you are 180 degrees off when you lined up the timing marks for installing the timing chain.

Here's a link for adjusting the valves. Don't worry about warming up the motor at this time, you just want to make sure they are close. After you get the motor running, you can properly set them with the engine at operating temperature.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/ff/9b/0900823d8015ff9b.jsp

Here's a link to doing a compression test, don't worry about the step requiring you to warm up the motor, you are just trying to determine if the valves are opening and closing when they should. Post the results of the dry and wet test.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/16/0b/c5/0900823d80160bc5.jsp

Since the starter spins the motor, you can eliminate the starter and the flywheel as problems.

What were the driving conditions when the chain broke? How was your friend operating the vehicle? Did it make any odd noises before the chain broke? Did any of the lights on the dash come on? Did the motor have oil? With all the spark plugs out, turn the motor by hand and see if the motor rotates smoothly.

DM_Rok
11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I just had the timing guides break last year on my 91 22RE. All four of the Intake valves kissed the piston tops, and were bent. The pistons weren't too badly damaged, but I had to replace the Intake valves.
Check compression, if you have little or none, plan on pulling that head.

scoot52
11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all of your help so far. Today, I did a compression check on my 92 toyota 22RE pickup. I used the screw in type and got absolutely no reading on the meter. I guess my next step is removing the rocker arm cover and manually turning the engine to see what's happening? Any more tips on what to check or look for will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

KimMG
11-06-2006, 01:10 AM
I think you are going to have to remove the head. Sounds like you have some bent valve stems that are preventing the valves from closing.

scoot52
11-06-2006, 01:53 AM
I think you are going to have to remove the head. Sounds like you have some bent valve stems that are preventing the valves from closing.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for all of your help.

Add your comment to this topic!