Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

camber or no camber?

alinb
10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
does anyone know if lowering the front of a 05 accord 2" reqire a camber kit? i've read that hondas are good about not needing them. i don't mind a slight not normal wearing as long as it's not too bad.

LVApex
10-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I would argue that even a Stock Accord should have a camber kit, Simply to be able to get away from the craptackular OEM alignment spec's. (OEM alignments hamper the cars ablility to turn)

As far as tire wear... Bad toe settings will eat tires 10X faster then just about any amount of camber. So as long as you get the cars toe aligned you should be fine.

alinb
11-01-2006, 06:50 AM
thanks i glad to here that...

Greenblurr93
11-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Some negative camber is actually better for turning....

chivid
01-26-2007, 12:15 AM
the road is not exactly flat so each car is designed with camber stock to keep it even on the road.

Greenblurr93
01-26-2007, 05:19 AM
right, but if you look at your tires when turning, they actually have positive camber, so a little negative camber helps counteract that and keep a larger contact patch on the ground when cornering.

chivid
01-26-2007, 11:23 PM
you notice that the BMW have negative camber on the wheels? you need a lil bit of camber on your car. This was said to me from the shops i taken my car in for alignment. three different shops told me the same exact thing.

LVApex
02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Some negative camber is actually better for turning....

I would say more then some... -1 to -1.5 on a daily driven street car with Allseason or your average summer tire would probably be near optimum. 2- or more would be needed for a car used for compitition given the tires used.

I actually run -2.5 deg camber on the nose of my civic, which is used for autocross.

The idea with adding static negitive camber is to make your tire Flat on the ground when your suspension is at full compression... The idea is you are giving your tires the maximum amount of contact patch at the moment it needs it most.

Greenblurr93
02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
ok... so what would you recommend for my car? 93 ex daily driver but is also going to be a weekend warrior.... and i dont mind sacrificing a little tire life.

LVApex
02-06-2007, 11:57 AM
ok... so what would you recommend for my car? 93 ex daily driver but is also going to be a weekend warrior.... and i dont mind sacrificing a little tire life.

... I would probably start between -1.5 and -2 deg on the nose, and probably -.5 to -1 on the rear. Then run 1/32nd toe out on the front, and 0 toe on the rear, then adjust rear toe to tweak the cars oversteer understeer balance. (Toe in to make the car oversteer less, toe out to make it oversteer more)

Greenblurr93
02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
wont toe out cause the car to be unstable on everyday road surfaces? I thought factory toe settings were set a little in to make the car pull less over uneven road surfaces.

LVApex
02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
wont toe out cause the car to be unstable on everyday road surfaces? I thought factory toe settings were set a little in to make the car pull less over uneven road surfaces.

Toe out on the nose is to help the car initiate turns... I.e. Turn in responsiveness will improve. And yes, it will tend to make the car want to wander a bit while driving in straight lines. however, 1/32nd total toe out isnt a whole lot... thats 1/64th of an inch toe out per side... so its there more to compensate for bushing compliance then to help the car turn (a FWD car will naturally want to toe in under acceleration, so dialing in a little toe out compensates for this)

Greenblurr93
02-06-2007, 07:37 PM
ahh, thnx for the info, good stuff

Add your comment to this topic!