Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2nd Blazer Problem 93 4.3V

jdrobbins
10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Ok my son has a 93 Blazer W vin# with the 4.3v. It has a very rough idle and hesitates on acceleration and bad gas mileage. Also gas smell from the exhaust and if left idleing there will be a black spot on the ground.

It really doesn't use much oil. Has 180,000 miles.

We did a tune up a couple weeks ago which helped but did not fix the problem.

Plugs - AC Delco
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Air Filter
Oil Change

When we pulled the plugs the drivers side plugs were all black but the passenger side were burning good.

I have read alot about the nut kit and spider assembly. Could this be the problem here? I am going to pull the EGR valve tomorrow and clean it.

Thanks for any help.

Almost forgot, we had the O2 sensor replaced when he bought it. The latest code it gave was a 45 O2 sensor.

MT-2500
10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Ok my son has a 93 Blazer W vin# with the 4.3v. It has a very rough idle and hesitates on acceleration and bad gas mileage. Also gas smell from the exhaust and if left idleing there will be a black spot on the ground.

It really doesn't use much oil. Has 180,000 miles.

We did a tune up a couple weeks ago which helped but did not fix the problem.

Plugs - AC Delco
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Air Filter
Oil Change

When we pulled the plugs the drivers side plugs were all black but the passenger side were burning good.

I have read alot about the nut kit and spider assembly. Could this be the problem here? I am going to pull the EGR valve tomorrow and clean it.

Thanks for any help.

Almost forgot, we had the O2 sensor replaced when he bought it. The latest code it gave was a 45 O2 sensor.

Run a fuel pressure test and watch for a fast leak down.
If so take upper plamtuim off and look for a fuel leak at fuel regulator or plastic intake and return lines.
MT

Chris Stewart
10-31-2006, 08:02 PM
I agree with MT-2500
Wow, looks like another rash of this like one 6 years ago.
If your oil feels thin and smells like gasoline, don't start the engine until you've changed the oil.
Oil full of gasoline will not lube and ruin your bearings & crankshaft...kinda serious stuff.

Looking for more info...here ya go.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=473110

BlazerLT
10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
CPI injector and your nit kit (fuel lines in the internal plenum) are leaking.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT!!!!!!

The gas is going into the oil and killing your main bearings. Smell your oil dipstick, it will be overfilled and smell strongly of gas.

AGAIN, DO NOT DRIVE IT OR RUN IT UNTIL YOU FIX IT.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=473110

jdrobbins
11-01-2006, 06:29 AM
I have ordered the spider assembly and the nut kit should be here friday.

Will update when complete.

Thank You for the help
Jerry

BlazerLT
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I have ordered the spider assembly and the nut kit should be here friday.

Will update when complete.

Thank You for the help
Jerry

You will also need the plenum gasket as well. Don't reuse the old one it is a single use gasket.

Also have some carb cleaner ready to clean the EGR ports.

jdrobbins
11-03-2006, 06:46 PM
All the parts came in today, started on it about 2 and finished up around 5. Wasn't that bad to replace. When I pulled the upper plenum there was a gas puddle above #5 so the nut kit was leaking I could see that the lines were wet also.

We fired it up and boy did it blow white smoke for about 10 minutes but cleared up and is running great.

I am glad I went ahead and replaced the spider assembly also while I was in there, it didn't look to good.

Also put in a reman digital dash motherboard that I got off ebay for $59 and everything is back working again. Sure beats paying $300 at a salvage yard.

Thanks for all the help.

BlazerLT
11-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Did you use a new plenum gasket?

Also, change the oil ASAP, it is completely full of gas. Not next week, change it now or you will be doing all that work for nothing.

jdrobbins
11-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Yes I put a new gasket on and also cleaned the EGR valve and new gasket.

Oil is getting changed in the morning.

BlazerLT
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Yes I put a new gasket on and also cleaned the EGR valve and new gasket.

Oil is getting changed in the morning.

Ok, this might seem weird but it will be a good thing to do.

1.) Drop the oil out of you crankcase only, leave the filter on.

2.) Get some cheap 0.99 5w30 from the store and put in the usual 4.5quarts and start and allow it to circulate for 5 minutes or so.

3.) Dump the oil again and procede with doing a normal oil change with a good filter. DON'T USE A CRAP FRAM FILTER ON A 4.3l, THEY ARE THE WORST FILTER IN THE WORLD.

Doing this will have you rid the whole oil system of the fuel and have a completely or "mostly" fuel free crankcase.

Cheers, trust me, for the extra $4, your engine will thank you.

riptide44
11-04-2006, 03:21 AM
:rofl: you fixed it before i could reply - graet stuff - and yeah it doesnt look too good ander any vortec plenum so yours is normal ..

QueTipp
11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Guys, I had to replace my CPI as well. I did this over the weekend. I replaced the nut kit also. I am having a problem with one of the cylinders getting flooded out with fuel now. It causes hydrolock. I had to remove the spark plugs to push the gas out of the cylinder. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why the cylinder would fill rapidly with gas with a brand new CPI unit?

blazee
11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the forum QueTipp. We'd be happy to help you, but you'll need to ask questions in your own thread, this one belongs to someone else.

Add your comment to this topic!