Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power window stopped working...where's the fuse?

l_eclipse_l
10-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Alright guys I need help. My passenger power window stopped working a few weeks ago. The driver side works just fine. The power locks work for both doors. I tried the window switch for the passenger side from both doors, neither seems to have power.

The window dosn't budge, so this makes me believe it's an electrical issue. I tried looking for any fuses that regard to power windows, and I couldn't find any on the big cluster in the engine bay nor in the little cluster under the dash on the drivers side. The sunroof fuse was about as close as I got, which works just fine. Anybody know where this fuse is?

Yes, I do have a Chilton's manual but I can't find it right now.

I have tore off the door panel to see if anything was blatantly not plugged in, and I didn't see anything. I did find a broken off screw that fell out of the door panel after I took it off, but I can't find where it goes and I don't think a tiny little screw is my problem here.

I do not have a multi-meter so I can't test the wires, but like I said everything else works pertaining to power like locks, etc. The car is a '99...I sure hope window motors and stuff like that arn't going out already.

Any suggestions?

xavier3jr
10-29-2006, 12:11 AM
the power window fuse is one of the big 30 amp fuses if im not mistaken there green. and if the fuse was blown there neither would work if the switch goes bad on the pasenger side then the drive side wont roll it down either because it will be in a incomplete circuit

l_eclipse_l
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the help man. So, I can rule out a blown fuse then.

Anybody else know of why it wouldn't work besides a blown window motor?

gthompson97
10-29-2006, 07:50 PM
The switch could either be bad or the motor. The switch doesn't have to work on both sides for either window to work because it's still a complete circuit either way. Do you have another switch to swap into it? I think I have one out in the parts car that I could probably pull if you don't want to buy a new one.

l_eclipse_l
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't have another switch, and my guess is you don't have a black one. :)

I'm thinking about just buying another motor and swapping it in. If that dosn't solve it, then I can assume it was the switch and just resell the motor. Good idea?

I found this one real quick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-GST-97-99-POWER-WINDOW-MOTOR-RIGHT_W0QQitemZ280043060617QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3370 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gthompson97
10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
You could do that, but a motor will be much harder than a switch. Maybe you should buy a switch and if that doesnt' solve it, get a motor? It's the easier, cheaper way to go IMHO.

l_eclipse_l
10-29-2006, 09:22 PM
You would think so, but finding a black switch might take awhile. I didn't see any on eBay, and I wouldn't buy a gray one just to prove that was what's broken. I figured if the motor didn't work, then the search for a black switch would begin.

AbsoluteGTR
10-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Just do what gthompson said....changing out switches will take 30 seconds. But putting in the motor will be the biggest bitch in the world to put in.

On my old 2g I had to put in a new passenger side window, and that was a HUGE pain in the ass. I seriously hate even thinking back to it. You hands have like no room to work. Just get a switch, you can live with a grey switch, or just paint it!

I bet that it is the switch that is not working or even the wires. I seriously doubt the motor would just fail.

xavier3jr
10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
:icon16: just buy a grey switch the buttons pop right off. all you have to do is pull the buttons off the black one and put them on a grey one.

garret go pull your passenger switch off and try to roll it down with the drive side i bet it wont roll down :2cents:

l_eclipse_l
10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
From what I could see, the whole switch is a big piece of plastic that extends across the door panel where that little dip is. And I would be kinda scared to rip the buttons off lol. I tend to do more damage than good. I already busted off two of the little plastic clips holding the door panel on :rolleyes:

Garrett is gonna see if he can get me the one off his parts car, don't worry. :)

gthompson97
10-31-2006, 01:56 AM
garret go pull your passenger switch off and try to roll it down with the drive side i bet it wont roll down :2cents:

In our cars, one switch is a master switch, and one is a slave. If the master quits working, so will the slave, but if the slave quits, the master will still work, it won't be an "incomplete" or "broken" circuit if one of the switches doesn't work. If that was the case then neither windows would work any time something happened.

Mikelb
10-31-2006, 07:33 AM
In our cars, one switch is a master switch, and one is a slave. If the master quits working, so will the slave, but if the slave quits, the master will still work. Now I don't know which side is the master/slave, but I know that it won't be an "incomplete" or "broken" circuit if one of the switches doesn't work. If that was the case then neither windows would work any time something happened.

Something I don't understand... my driver's side (master switch) will roll my passenger window down, but not up... I have to reach over and hit the passenger switch to do that...

gthompson97
10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Something is wrong with the drivers side switch for the passenger window.

l_eclipse_l
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Update:

Bought a new switch, no change. The power locks all still work great, but nothing from the passenger window from either the driver side switch or the new passenger side. Could it be anything else besides the window motor?

l_eclipse_l
11-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Nobody has anything? I guess I'll just buy a used motor then.

Mikelb
11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Check to be sure the motor is plugged in... that's a mistake I made when putting mine back together...

then yeah, if all else fails... replace the motor...

I'm gonna say, contrary to popular belief, instead of having to replace the whole regulator... you might just be able to unbolt the top part of the window motor and swap in a new/used one... that replaces the magnetized parts that could be causing the problems (no gaurantees, and I haven't personally tried it)

Bandit_233
08-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Check the heater relay fuse in the passenger cabin fuse block. If it's blown none of the windows will work.

Talon69
08-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Check the heater relay fuse in the passenger cabin fuse block. If it's blown none of the windows will work.

Dude do you realize you replied to a post that was last answered on 11-28-2006, 02:34 PM lol

squirell
07-23-2018, 08:58 PM
yo so fun knee:runaround:

Add your comment to this topic!