97 dodge front end trouble

doug 35
10-28-2006, 07:56 AM
My '97 Dodge 4x4 has very loose and unstable steering. I am constantly have to move the steering wheel to maintain control. When sitting idle, if the truck rolls a few feet and I touch the brake the front end has movement that can be felt in the steering wheel. I have had a front end inspection and the ball joints are good. I was told possibly the steering damper but the only way to know is to change it. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions?:banghead:

funcruise
10-28-2006, 11:14 PM
The 4x4s are noted for having track bars wearing out and producing symptems like you are experencing. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the front end and check for any movement while wheels are stationary. Whover checked the front end for you seems to want to just sell parts . There is a steering stabilizer that is made to help the wandering problem that Dodge has. To see it you can google search psc motorsports When it comes up just click on Dodge steering, then click Dodge stabilizer brackets for info on them .I have one on my 94 and it works good. But first check your track bar for looseness where it attaches to the frame. Good luck hunting and let us know how you make out............

norteno
11-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I have the exact same truck that had the exact same problem. I installed a ball joint rebuild kit named Lukes Link and it worked great. I got my steering and control back. I also installed them on the tie rod ends and I haven't had any front end problems since. They have a web site by the same name. Check them out and follow all the directions for installation. They are also less expensive than buying a new tracking bar, Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!