Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

crazy '99 G. Caravan problem

sjr8ut
10-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Hey everybody,
I've got a 3.8L '99 Grand Caravan, 260K miles. When the steering wheel is not exactly straight, the car will not start. No clicks, cranks, nothing. I have to turn the wheel to just the right position and it will start right up.
Anyone have any ideas?
Is this something I could fix myself?'
Thanks for your help.

sjr8ut
10-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey guys--no replies so I'm taking it that nobody else has had this problem. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing it? I don't know where to start.
Thanks.

RIP
10-30-2006, 12:08 AM
My guess is something you have probably already guessed. You will have to pull the steering column apart and look for an intermittent open in the power wire off the ignition switch. On a 98 GC it's a yellow wire off the ignition switch to the 10 amp fuse #10 on the junction block. Check continuity with a meter. Should come and go as you turn the wheel. The wire is broken probably within the wires insulation and making intermittent contact. Look for bumps or dark spots on the wire.

sjr8ut
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to get that column apart and take a look. It will be nice to get this problem taken care of...

vipergg
10-31-2006, 09:10 PM
If you are going to pull apart the column just make sure to pull the battery so you don't set off an airbag .

Add your comment to this topic!