Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intro and Question...

AceTone
09-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Kind of new to the forum and been looking around for a while now. I am amazed at the work I see here and never have I really been all that interested in cars. I would build one from time to time, but usually switch back to my military modeling. With that being said, I have been building scale models since 6 or so (wish I still had that model, it was a glob of glue and melted plastic painted silver). I have been modeling seriously for the past 15 years at least.

So after coming here, I discovered that there are people interested in the more artistic approach for car building. What brand of liquid mask does everyone use? It has been ages since I have used any (most times I freehand everything with an airbrush). I went to the local craft store and got some, but it seemed to only be crap quality. It pulled paint, etc (tested on an old aircraft model that the cats got ahold of).

Also, I was wondering if anyone has used the Alclad Lacquers for wheels, mirrors and such. Just curious if anyone has actually used the stuff. I have used it on a couple of kits (landing gear, etc) and the stuff is utterly amazing for metal finishes.

Again, thanks for the previous help on questions and the sharing of your work and experience...

turbos86
09-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Hello! Welcome to the AF modeling forum!:)
I would like to answer your questions, but I don't use those products~

Anyways, enjoy your stay!

Lownslow
09-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Liquid mask is pure bullshit unless its HOK brand.
for masking id go with fhoto frisket and tamiya masking tape or HOK liquid mask

aclad it works well on everything as long as the gloss black is totaly gloss ive been told to spray aclad after 15 minutes the black has been applied to ensure proper chrome look.

AceTone
09-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Cool, thanks for the info! I have always been one to use masking tape for the most part. I do have a large stock of frisket which I hadn't even thought about using (sure you have to de-tack it some). Can you point me in any direction to find the HOK brand online to order?

I have had a lot of success when using alcad, but it has been on very small parts. Never was I into the whole mirror finished airplane crap. Too boring in my opinion.

flyonthewall
09-09-2002, 02:44 PM
WELCOME

Originally posted by AceTone
I would build one from time to time, but usually switch back to my military modeling.

We make LOVE here, not WAR!!!!:bonghitte :D

Also, I was wondering if anyone has used the Alclad Lacquers for wheels, mirrors and such. Just curious if anyone has actually used the stuff. I have used it on a couple of kits (landing gear, etc) and the stuff is utterly amazing for metal finishes.

I have used Alcad II chrome and your right it is utterly amazing.

Add your comment to this topic!