Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Silverado Help Please

oldmike
10-26-2006, 03:39 AM
Hey, I'm new to this forum, but have been on Automotive Forums for years. Need some help about a 96 Chevy C1500 Silverado. I have a chance to pick up this truck at a local finance company for $100. It has lot's of problems but most are cosmetic as it runs and drives fine. The first one I want to solve is with the ignition. As it sits, there are no keys, so it is unlocked and you crank it with a butter knife because the ignition is all bummed up. Can I get an ignition system from the junkyard and switch it out easily? The reason I ask is I am used to 2001 and newer cars where the ignition is getting pretty complicated electronically for theft protection. I'm hoping a 96 truck is not that way. Thanks in advance for any info.
Mike

bigj-dog
10-26-2006, 09:24 AM
The tumbler on these trucks is easy to replace. I'm not sure if yours had the theft deterrent chip on the key or not, but I think they change out the same anyway. Remove the lower dash panel below the steering wheel (4 screws on the bottom and spring clips in the top), remove the two torx 25 screws that hold the bottom of the steering column cover to the column itself, then remove the two E6 (reverse torx screws) that hold the top column cover to the column, lift and twist the top cover off enough to access the top of the tumbler, then take a 3/32 allen 90 degree allen wrench and with the key in the start postion stick it in the hole on top of the tumbler to depress the lock button, then rotate the key switch back to run and pull the tumbler out. The actual ignition switch isn't much harder to replace, it requires the same steps plus taking the 2 E2 (I think that's the size, it's the smallest sized one I have) screws out of the switch located just below the tumbler and also unscrewing the bottom of the ign. switch harness from it's junction block, just above the drivers feet with an 8mm or 7mm (bad memory) nut driver. I'm not sure on the tumbler price, but an ign. switch is about $150.

oldmike
10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Bigj-Dog,
WOW! I have never received such a detailed answer and so quick on these forums. If this works (and I believe it will), you da man. Since the truck will start with a knife, I would assume the switch and all electronics are good and I just need the tumbler you described. I am a junkyard bum and my local yard lets me go remove parts and buy them for peanuts. I won't know for sure until next week if I get it, so I will keep you posted.
Thanks a bunch,
Mike

bigj-dog
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Just FYI, I believe they started the column style that you have in 1995, maybe late '94s too. I just took one apart last night, must be your lucky week. Good luck.

oldmike
10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks again. My timing was perfect wasn't it? I'll let you know how it goes.
Mike

Add your comment to this topic!