Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Planning on getting an eclipse

theOmni
10-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey everyone, I know this is not the best place to get the most objective answer, but here it goes:

I'm planning on buying a 1999 Eclipse, but MANY of my friends and other people told me that Eclipse is not the best way to go because it's poorly built and breaks down easily.

I know about the maintainence part that you have to get a oil change every 3000 miles and a trans flush every year, and I'm okay with that.

It's just the part about the car not being reliable and that it easily breaks down that really bothers me.

So those who have an Eclipse, should I really get one?

mike8818
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Your asking that on this forum every ones going to tell you to get it. But seriouslt is it turbo non turbo 5-speed auto. miles? we need more info on the car. Oh yeah use the right sub forum next time.

L-Spec
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
He's asking about DSMs in general. I've personally have never had a problem with my Eclipse. It was great. Basic maintainence is all it takes, just like any other car. It's just a car, not some high-tech space rocket lol. I bet you whoever told you that these cars aren't reliable haven't owned one before, or got beat in a race by one haha. If you don't beat the shit out of the car, it'll do fine. Eclipses (especially turbos) are one of those cars that's really hard for you not to bag, therefore many people have issues with them breaking down. Again, it's just a car, treat it with respect and you'll get the same.

l_eclipse_l
10-25-2006, 04:11 PM
If you keep it stock and do maintenance like your supposed to, it will last like any other car. If you mod it and beat the shit outa it, you will come upon reliability issues.

theOmni
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
yeah, I was talking about eclipses in general.
I haven't eyed a specific one yet, but I'm looking for a 5 speed GS-T.

thanks for your input, but the people who I asked owned an Eclipse, not to race or anything, but to just use it for casual business.

Add your comment to this topic!