Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Who wants a challenge??

ignorant
10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Well I give up with this car. Now I need advice. It's a Camry 87 2L. This car starts when cold very fast. But as soon as it gets hot, I mean normal idle temperature, it won't start. Hold on, I am sure you already have the same I did in your mind right now. Ok let's start. Much people say this has to do with current and recommend change of the ignitor or the distributor. Ok, I did change the ignitor, nothing !! I changed the distributor, nothing !! The car does not get hot and the cooling fan work very good, it runs smooth. Somebody told to change the mass air flow sensor, I did and nothing !! I got a code reader and scanned the car. It gave me code 22, which is -ECT sensor or circuit, ECU- Ok, I changed engine coolant temperature sensor, nothing !! Somebody told, hey, it is not only coding the ECT but also the ECU, the computer is bad!! All right, I changed the computer, nothing!! The car still stars very fast and when gets hot, it won't start, but do not turns off by itself. I checked current and current is ok, it must be gas. I tested the fuel pump and it was ok. Somebody told me that some fuel pumps are well tested but then, when hot, they get tired and fail. Ok, no hassle, I changed the fuel pump. NOTHINGGGGGGGG, arrrrgggghhhh!! Charging system is ok also. Fuel injectors can not be dirty or clogged because they would be also when cold and car work perfect when cold. All right, I think I have covered everything, now, who will accept the challenge??

Forget to mention I am not a professional mechanic but I am not new to mechanic job neither, I have 20 years working with cars but this one is driving me crazy..........

Ignorant

RIP
10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Haynes manual says: Engine hard to start when hot, check the following:

1) Air filter clogged
2) Fuel not reaching fuel injector system
3) Corroded battery connections, especially ground.

Sure hope you don't find #1 & 3 to be the problem after all you've done. Are you still getting a code 22?

OBTW - I own a 1987 2.0 ltr wagon

Brian R.
10-24-2006, 11:28 PM
The cold-start injector may not be off when starting hot or leaking.

Idle speed control valve may be bad.

ignorant
10-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Rip, Brian, thanks for your replies. Yes RIP, items 1 and 3 are sure not the problem, the air filter can not be clogged when hot and unclogged when cold, neither can a corroded terminal battery. About fuel not reaching the EFI, I checked this out also by loosening the cold crank valve line screw when the car is hot and does not want to start and the fuel pressure is enough to start, when switch is turned on, there is a very fuel pressure which means fuel is reaching the EFI. And yes, it is still giving me code 22. Anyway I also changed cold start sensor and did not changed anything. About the idle control valve I have to admit I have never though about it, I will check it out.

Something I did not mention before is that when the car is hot, the reader will not give me any code, when the car gets cold, reader gives me the code. Whatever happens is also affecting this system.

Thanks a lot friends. I anybody else has any idea, please post it.

Ignorant

somick
10-25-2006, 12:45 PM
If you still get code 22 then it probably ECT.

Question 1: Was the sensor known good?

Question 2: Have you checked wiring?
I know this is a tricky stuff. It may look good from outside, but that is the only thing that comes to mind right now. A simple unplug/plug back connector may work.
If you start unwrapping harneses you may find the problem as well.

Good luck!

Sam

ignorant
10-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi Somick, sensor is new, I do not expect to be bad. Thus you're right, many new parts comes up bad also. What I have not checked out is the circuit. Next Saturday I will start unwrapping the harness as you recommend, it is a good idea. Thanks!!

Ignorant

Brian R.
10-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I missed the point about you getting a 22 DTC. The ECT sensor or wiring/connectors is definitely the most likely suspect.

Mike Gerber
10-25-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree with Somick and Brian. The code 22 is telling you the system that has a problem. It is not always the sensor itself (although it usually is). Check the wiring in the ECT circuit.

Good luck.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!