Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1981 Monte Carlo, is it worth it?

MetallicaDude454
10-22-2006, 01:27 AM
I was looking at an 81 Monte Carlo that was selling for $2200, which she even knew it wasn't worth it, the car has been on the market for about 2 months, and I'm the last person to check out the car within the last month, so I'm sure the car isn't going to go anytime soon, I don't really know much about the car, and it seemed to have carburetor problems(tooks a few minutes to get it started, and didn't feel like it had too much power) which is something that would set me back $500 dollars, and the paint was starting to peel pretty badly, but I didn't see any rust on the car, the interior was in pretty good condition for its age, but anyways, I told her I'd give her $1000 for it, and she said if the car didn't sell within the next month she would take it into serious consideration. I really don't think the car is even worth that much. But is it a good deal? I have no clue what a monte carlo of this age is worth.

Rally Sport
10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Well for 1000 dollars, I think its worth it.. you got your own little project car to work on there, but I wouldnt be trying to buy the car as a daily driver or something you'd use often and the car will command more money. So unless you see yourself working on it and fixing it up, leave it. If not, then take it and work on it some.

MetallicaDude454
10-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Well I planned on putting some money into it, to make it more of a summer cruiser, I have no intentions to use it over the winter, because I'm sure it wouldn't be good for driving in the snow. I've wanted a monte carlo of this body style for a long time, and there aren't many of them around here, so I really would like to buy it, but then again I don't want it to set me back further than it needs to, money wise.

bobss396
10-23-2006, 07:04 AM
It probably needs a bunch of work under the hood. I had an '82 with the V6 and it was a total dog from day 1. It looked nice though. Give it another month and offer her $400 for it.

wrightz28
10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
If it's been sitting for a while, which is the way it sounds, it's going to run like poo from bad gas, and a dried up carb. Doesn't 100% mean it needs replacing,

'97ventureowner
10-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I have no intentions to use it over the winter, because I'm sure it wouldn't be good for driving in the snow.

Actually, they are not bad at all. What you would need is a good pair of snow tires. I live in Central NY where we get on the average of 130+ inches of snow a season. I drove my '81 all winter long for many years and NEVER had a problem or got stuck. I used to pass FWD cars all the time, and the car went up hills without a problem. Some of it also has to do with driver experience in winter conditions. I even passed SUVs and other 4X4s who were having problems navigating, but that might have been related to driver inability to handle the situation. Too many people think these cars and cars like it are horrible in the winter, when really they aren't.

Rally Sport
10-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Well if you plan on putting some money on it, then i'd go ahead and pick it up. Id turn it into a sleeper.. cheaper that way too, just get a new 350 sbc and go from there..

MetallicaDude454
10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Well I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do, I think tomorrow I'll borrow the car for a few hours and go over it, because when I first checked it out, I just got a good view of the interior and the exterior, and got to drive it for 15 minutes, so I'm going to check a few things, because only god knows how long its been since the oil/oil filter/air filter/ and crap like that have been changed. Also, I don't have much winter driving experiance, only about 1 and a half seasons. And a few more questions just so I know, What kind of horse power/torque ratings are we talking about? I'm not expecting much, but I'd just like to know how much I should be getting because it seriously felt like I was getting 65hp.

Rally Sport
10-23-2006, 09:00 PM
From what I know, that car shouldnt have more than 140ish HP but you dont know what engine it has in it, do you? None the less, those years saw low HP numbers, main reason why i'd throw in a new 350.

'97ventureowner
10-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Well if you plan on putting some money on it, then i'd go ahead and pick it up. Id turn it into a sleeper.. cheaper that way too, just get a new 350 sbc and go from there..
:iagree: These cars were mass produced and parts from other G bodies will fit these cars also, so getting parts should be no problem. A lot of high performance parts are also available for these vehicles from many sources. I always hated the V6s that were put in these vehicles as I always thought they were problematic and underpowered. The 2 '81 Montes that I owned , i ended up yanking the crappy 229 cu. in. and putting good ole V8s in them. Big difference:grinyes: What you could do is decide on a price you are willing to pay, then gather the money together and offer it to the seller when you think the time is right. You'd be surprised at how fast they make a decision, usually in your favor, when they see all that cash.

wrightz28
10-24-2006, 09:29 AM
I look at it this way, in most areas now, the car is old enough to be enissions exempt.

And,

The space between them 2 frame rails under the hood are mighty accomodating :D

bobss396
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Even if it is emissions exempt, check with your local station to see if you can take off the smog pump, etc. Where I am, if it came from the factory with a piece of smog equipment, it has to stay on the car to pass a legal inspection.

Bob

wrightz28
10-24-2006, 12:14 PM
oops, I keep forgetting some area have that inspection thing. :sorry:

MetallicaDude454
10-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Well I took the car for a few hours today, personally, I think she's too nice, she has talked to me for less than 10 minutes in her whole life, and let me take her car twice, without her, the first time I took it we talked for maybe 3 minutes and she started the car told me to let it warm up and to go ahead and leave, which means she's too trusting, and I wouldn't trust me, I'm 18 for gods sake!! Well anyways, the car drove much better I put in some Premium gas and after a bit I could feel the difference, it was a pretty big difference too, but one of the cars headlights were out, and none of the blinkers worked, and it took me 2 minutes to realize where the hell I'm supposed to pump the gas. Anyways, I think the car drove pretty good, and felt as though I could trust the car to be trusty enough for a few months at least. Ran pretty smooth, didn't feel the tranny slip or anything like that. And now I'm just gathering up a few extra dollars so I'd have some money to fall on to replace a few things on my truck, and possibly the car, but I'm not 100% sure I'll get it, but anyways thanks for all your guys' help.

Add your comment to this topic!