Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

does an 81 CJ5 w/a 258 have a choke?

chattmedic
10-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Just purchased my first CJ!! Previously owned a 93 Wrangler. Just wondering, to the right of the lighter, just below the speedometer, fuel gage, etc. on the dash is a pull knob, not heater related, wipers or lights. Is this a choke possibly, and how can I tell for sure? The Jeep starts and runs great, I have been starting the Jeep with the knob pushed in, this morning it was cold for the first time, and it started a little rough, wondering if this could be corrected by possibly applying what I think may be the choke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ray H
10-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Just purchased my first CJ!! Previously owned a 93 Wrangler. Just wondering, to the right of the lighter, just below the speedometer, fuel gage, etc. on the dash is a pull knob, not heater related, wipers or lights. Is this a choke possibly, and how can I tell for sure? The Jeep starts and runs great, I have been starting the Jeep with the knob pushed in, this morning it was cold for the first time, and it started a little rough, wondering if this could be corrected by possibly applying what I think may be the choke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Look for a cable running from the knob to the carb. If its a choke, its probably not factory, someone probably put it there so it would start better when cold. Just trace the cable.

chattmedic
10-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, if it were a choke, would I pull the knob out to start, and after it ran for a while, push it back in? Silly question I know, but Im an amatuer trying to learn. I super apprecite your help. Cheers:cheers:

Ray H
10-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the advice, if it were a choke, would I pull the knob out to start, and after it ran for a while, push it back in? Silly question I know, but Im an amatuer trying to learn. I super apprecite your help. Cheers:cheers:

I guess whoever installed it could do it the way they want but the couple Ive had have been pull for choke and push for no choke.

chattmedic
10-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks man, I tried the choke this morning, pulled out by the way, and there was a noticeable difference in the way it started and idled. Thanks again for your help.

MagicRat
10-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Uh, your Jeep should have an automatic (thermal) choke.

Likely you have an automatic choke because your jeep would be VERY difficult to start even in warm weather without using a choke.

You need to fully depress the gas pedal before cranking to set the choke.

You would be surprised how many people who only have driven EFI cars cannot get a choke car started because they fail to do so.

If there is a manual choke knob, it is not factory and has been cobbled together by someone.

Also, there is a factory vent knob on the dash, in my '81 CJ, in that general location. Are you sure you are not pulling the vent knob?

Add your comment to this topic!