Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer

tommyboy63
10-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I have 2005 Ram with a Hemi. I'm being told to avoid dry starts, use Lucas Oil Stabilizer, it's the best on the market. Has anyone tried this stuff. What are the pros and cons. How do I add it to my 7 qt system.

MT-2500
10-21-2006, 05:42 PM
I have 2005 Ram with a Hemi. I'm being told to avoid dry starts, use Lucas Oil Stabilizer, it's the best on the market. Has anyone tried this stuff. What are the pros and cons. How do I add it to my 7 qt system.

Welcome to AF ON YOUR FIRST POST.
The best oil additive is no additive. :grinyes: :grinno: :lol:
Just good clean oil and filter change when needed.
Why or how would you get a dry start?
MT

tommyboy63
10-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Welcome to AF ON YOUR FIRST POST.
The best oil additive is no additive. :grinyes: :grinno: :lol:
Just good clean oil and filter change when needed.
Why or how would you get a dry start?
MT

I was told by a mechanic that when your vehicle sit for a period of time, all the oil drains to your pan and that includes everything that has to do with oil. So, when you go to start your truck, that first second or two until all the oil is circulating you have a dry cylinder. And that puts added wear and tear on your engine. That's why he recommeded Lucas, because it keeps everything lube and it helps in preventing early oil break down and prevents early wear and tear.

MT-2500
10-21-2006, 08:26 PM
I was told by a mechanic that when your vehicle sit for a period of time, all the oil drains to your pan and that includes everything that has to do with oil. So, when you go to start your truck, that first second or two until all the oil is circulating you have a dry cylinder. And that puts added wear and tear on your engine. That's why he recommeded Lucas, because it keeps everything lube and it helps in preventing early oil break down and prevents early wear and tear.

That make you wonder what engines doe before they invented lucas oil treatment. :grinyes: :grinno: :lol:
But I do not see how oil can drain off of everything.
If it has oil on it when you shut it off it will have oil on it when you strart it back up .
No need for additive. Additive can do more harm than good.

MT

1thunder
10-21-2006, 09:33 PM
i agree with MT-2500 eaven if you have Lucas additive in the engine it will still drain off everything if his theory is correct the Lucas additive may help the viscosity in the oil but cannot defy gravity

edbrycem
10-21-2006, 11:32 PM
The only time that I get concerned of a dry start is if i start it up and i hear ticking from the lifters. I had that in an old truck and i did use lucas and it did prevent it from ticking on a cold start, BUT on the same token, if your vehicle isn't ticking on a cold start then there is oil to lubricate it. So I believe that wouldn't be a dry start. I haven't had that in my newer vehicles so i dont use lucas in them. I would only use it if my motor made noise when starting. If it aint broke dont fix it. IMO

tommyboy63
10-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks everybody for your inputs. I'll stick with what I'm doing when I change my oil and filter. Any recommendations on what the best oil is. I use Mobil 1.

MT-2500
10-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks everybody for your inputs. I'll stick with what I'm doing when I change my oil and filter. Any recommendations on what the best oil is. I use Mobil 1.

Mobil-1 is one of the best oils. A lot of people use it.
But remember to always use a good OEM type oil filter to.
The filter is what keeps the oil clean.
Oil filters play a major part in drainbacks.
Some cheaper oil filters have drain back problems and even can affect oil pressure.
Good Luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!