Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch Trouble

hangun61
10-21-2006, 11:39 AM
My '96 S10 LS, 2.2, 5 speed with 95k miles has started acting like the clutch is out of adjustment. There is very little pedal travel between when the clutch is let out, and the tranny starts to grab.
I'm guessing it's about that time to explore replacing the clutch, but I hoped it could wait 'til spring. Is there any adjustment on a clutch or am I gonna have to bite the bullet? How much can I expect to spend if the clutch needs replacing?
Thanks for any help.

Blue Bowtie
10-22-2006, 08:09 AM
The hydraulic clutch is inherently self-adjusting. Provided the fluid level is correct, the clutch master- and slave cylinders are not leaking, and no air has entered the system, there is nothing you can do. The pressure plate springs (diaphragm) may be at the point where they are at the very end of their designed travel and are not imparting adequate closign pressure on the clutch plate.

You may be looking at this soon:

http://72.19.213.157/files/NV1500Flywheel.jpg

http://72.19.213.157/files/NV1500Transmission.jpg

BlazerLT
10-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Check your cluth fluid resevoir.

It is a resevoir in the back driver's side of the engine bay. Remove the cover and make sure the fluid is up to the proper level.

If not, top it up, put the lid back on and go and pump the clutch pedal 20 times to get the fluid back into the system. Then recheck the level.

Also check your clutch pedal bushings and pedal assembly. We thought our cavalier had a bad clutch until one of the bushings wore out and the pedal assembly unattached from the clutch shaft.

hangun61
10-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I have checked the fluid level and it seems to be up to the proper level. A little prevention (a new clutch) will go a long way.
Thanks again.

BlazerLT
10-23-2006, 10:35 PM
true, but have it inspected first.

The linkage might just need adjusting.

hangun61
10-31-2006, 09:20 AM
New clutch plate, master & slave, throwout bearings etc...
$800.00... Piece of mind, priceless.
Thanks for the info.

Blue Bowtie
10-31-2006, 09:56 AM
OUCH! My new clutch and pressure plate was under $100. I spent about five hours on the swap, but killed a lot of time fixing other things while the tranny was out, like cleaning up the wire harnesses, changing trans oil, lubing the shifter, rust-treating all the exposed edges under the truck, etc.

BlazerLT
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
OUCH! My new clutch and pressure plate was under $100. I spent about five hours on the swap, but killed a lot of time fixing other things while the tranny was out, like cleaning up the wire harnesses, changing trans oil, lubing the shifter, rust-treating all the exposed edges under the truck, etc.

Most of the cost is the labor.

alblogg
10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
We put clutch, press plate, throw bearing in my son's '88 S-10 PU for the same thing pedal had no travel gears grinding real bad going into first and reverse just like you had no clutch. When we took out clutch it was not that worn. Put it all back together bleed the clutch worked good for a day or two went back to doing the same thing. Replaced master cylinder and slave cylinder on clutch bleed it out good not had no more trouble.

BlazerLT
10-31-2006, 08:27 PM
grinding in first and reverse is because of the syncros being worn out.

Add your comment to this topic!