Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP 95 Towncar air ride to air shock conversion trouble

jhousman6
10-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I had the air ride on my car and it just went to he ground, the compressor isn't even kicking in anymore. I called Napa and ordered some air shocks that is supposed to be a replacement for this car. ONLY air shocks. After the mechanic got them on, it didn't even raise the car 1/2 an inch. Could someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me what I need to do or where to find instructions on getting that thing off the ground without having to put the air bags back on it.??

reekor
10-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Shocks do not hold the car up, the springs do or your air bags in this case.

Easy, Find yourself a pair of rear coil springs from a 92-97 Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis and replace the air bags with the coil springs. Make sure that you install the upper coil spring rubber isolators. Then you need to disable the air ride system here is a link to a pdf file on how to do it.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/file.asp?fileId=97

I had the air ride on my car and it just went to he ground, the compressor isn't even kicking in anymore. I called Napa and ordered some air shocks that is supposed to be a replacement for this car. ONLY air shocks. After the mechanic got them on, it didn't even raise the car 1/2 an inch. Could someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me what I need to do or where to find instructions on getting that thing off the ground without having to put the air bags back on it.??

jhousman6
10-21-2006, 02:34 AM
[quote=reekor]Shocks do not hold the car up, the springs do or your air bags in this case.

Easy, Find yourself a pair of rear coil springs from a 92-97 Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis and replace the air bags with the coil springs. Make sure that you install the upper coil spring rubber isolators. Then you need to disable the air ride system here is a link to a pdf file on how to do it.

Thank you EVER SO MUCH this helped me out SO MUCH. I can't thank you enough for the quick response and great detailed instructions. Thanks again.

sreilly77
10-21-2006, 06:41 AM

when you replaced the bags did you check the relay for the air compressor? if that is blown, usually that means that your compressor is on its way out. replace the relay and see if the bags pump up. if the compressor kicks on and doesn't give you any more problems you should be ok. if after a couple days it stops working again, then your compressor is also shot. does your check air suspension light come on? make sure the switch in the trunk is in the ON position too.

jhousman6
10-21-2006, 10:20 AM
when you replaced the bags did you check the relay for the air compressor? if that is blown, usually that means that your compressor is on its way out. replace the relay and see if the bags pump up. if the compressor kicks on and doesn't give you any more problems you should be ok. if after a couple days it stops working again, then your compressor is also shot. does your check air suspension light come on? make sure the switch in the trunk is in the ON position too.

The air bags on it are completly gone they dry rotted I think. The guy up above answered all my questions, because I am getting rid of the air bags. I wanted to go with shocks, but thank you so much for your time to answer me. If relay you mean the fuse under the hood, I checked it and it's not blown. thank you again so very much
Julie

reekor
10-21-2006, 05:18 PM
No problem, If you want more of a firm ride or if you tend to carry stuff in your trunk you can go with 92-97 Crown Victoria police/taxi springs or cargo springs. Don't let yourself get suckered into buying the air bag to coil spring conversion kits, you only end up paying more for the same Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis springs with a copy of the info that I gave you in the link. You can also save some money on the springs at your local wrecking yard, if you do that make sure that you see the car the spings come out of before they are removed, make sure that the care is sitting level in the rear or even better if the rear of the car sits a little higher then front, as these spring are known to sag with age.

Good luck.

Thank you EVER SO MUCH this helped me out SO MUCH. I can't thank you enough for the quick response and great detailed instructions. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Add your comment to this topic!