Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with throttle response plz!

DSMNerd6889
10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey guys, I've been working on getting this car back together (in sig). The car seems to idle fine and when I'm in higher rpms, it seems to run fine too... its just that when I try and give her just a little gas (like accelerating from a stop), it will either fall flat on its face or start surging. I've changed plugs (gapped at .030), I've changed wires, I've changed tps (used to be a cel), I've even changed the fuel filter. When I started working on the car there was old gas in it, I syphoned as much out as I could and filled up with new premium. So does anyone have any other ideas that I could check? BTW, there's no cel now that I've replaced the tps. Thanks in advance.

l_eclipse_l
10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
One thread on this was enough man, don't make a double next time.

What plugs did you put in?

Blackcrow64
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
It sounds as if you are STILL working the kinks out of it as your last thread described. You did not need to make a new thread for this continuing problem that you are trying to fix. You could have rather simply updated your other thread as it is not even 4 days old yet...

I won't lock it this time but please take note of this for future posts...

Have you checked your coil yet to make sure it hasn't gone bad? I've noticed that is usually a common problem with the 90 motors...

defiancy
10-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Boost leak?

DSMNerd6889
10-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Sorry about the double post... I forgot that I asked about this already...(I figured the tps would fix it and was more concerned with the tranny.) But anyways, I thought about boost/vac leak and was planning to build a pressure tester this weekend. What can I do to test the coil? And why would it make my car bog like that? Thanks again.

Blackcrow64
10-21-2006, 12:45 AM
What can I do to test the coil? And why would it make my car bog like that? Thanks again.
Test the power coming out with a voltmeter... It would make the car bog like that because of poor spark. Trust me, I'm having the same type of problem with the Firebird right now. In that thing my distributor cap is cracked and its getting moisture in there and its arching and taking power away from the cylinders so they don't fire or fire poorly... Which I'm glad we are talking about this or I would have forgotten to order that cap again tonight... lol

DSMNerd6889
10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
So I should check the voltage at the end of the spark plug wires? Or at the coil itself, or does it matter? And am I just checking to see if they're the same or is there a specific number I'm looking for? Thanks again.

Blackcrow64
10-21-2006, 01:01 AM
So I should check the voltage at the end of the spark plug wires? Or at the coil itself, or does it matter? And am I just checking to see if they're the same or is there a specific number I'm looking for? Thanks again.
At the coil itself... You know how to test the resistance?

DSMNerd6889
10-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Actually, I can't say that I do.

Blackcrow64
10-21-2006, 01:46 AM
Ok, connect the one terminal to the middle post. Then connect the other to each of the outside posts and test each one. I can't remember right now what your resistance needs to be for it to be good still... Hopefully somebody else does and posts it up?

gthompson97
10-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Ignition Coil Resistance (Eclipse 2.0L)
Using a DVOM, measure primary coil resistance between ignition coil connector terminals No. 2 and No. 4 (coils for cylinders No. 1 and No. 4) and between terminals No. 4 and No. 1 (coils for cylinders No. 2 and No. 3).

Measure secondary coil resistance between coil towers for cylinders No. 1 and No. 4 and between coil towers for cylinders No. 2 and No. 3.

DIS IGNITION COIL RESISTANCE - Ohms @ 68°F (20°C)
Primary Secondary
.77-.95 10.3-13.9

Blackcrow64
10-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Thank you Garrett. :)

DSMNerd6889
10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Okay guys, here's the update... when I was going to test the ignition coil resistance, I noticed something funny. I don't think that my spark plug wires are routed correctly (ie wrong coil to wrong plug). I have a 90 and I know they're different than later years, can anyone point me in the right direction, or possibly tell me how they should be routed? Thanks again.

Blackcrow64
10-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I can't remember the order on the 90's... You should pick up a Haynes manual for it then you'll have all this info and more. I've found my book to be very helpful in several situations for both my cars. :2cents:

DSMNerd6889
10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I have a Haynes manual, but it doesn't have that info in it, it's very ambiguous about the 90 model year.

gthompson97
10-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Again I have to pick up the slack in your work, Brian :p haha

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7663/firingordercopyls6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DSMNerd6889
10-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I ran across that diagram I think, but I was under the impression that the 90 was different? Any thoughts? Thanks.

gthompson97
10-29-2006, 12:30 PM
That's what Mitchell On Demand shows for a 90 GSX. Let me check and see if the 91 is any different.

EDIT: Fuck I don't know, I pulled up like 3 different diagrams when I went to a 91.

DSMNerd6889
10-29-2006, 12:55 PM
OKay... what are some of the other orders? I can try guess and test, lol

Blackcrow64
10-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Again I have to pick up the slack your work, Brian :p haha
I am a very busy mod... Yeah, thats it. I'm very busy... lol :rolleyes:

DSMNerd6889
10-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Okay, I checked the coil, it's checks out fine. I changed the o2 sensor, still no luck. When I tried to do a boost leak check (I made the fitting to go on my turbo), I couldn't get it to hold pressure, but I also couldn't find anywhere that it was leaking out. When I listen under the hood while the car is running and I give it some gas... I think I hear hissing near the area of the turbo/wastegate, is that normal? Another weird deal... when I drive the car and it seems to build boost really easy, I don't have a boost gauge hooked up yet, but the stock one is maxed out at really low rpms. I know I'm starting to be a pain in everyone's ass, but does anyone have any more ideas? Thanks again.

gthompson97
10-30-2006, 01:44 AM
You should build full boost fairly quickly with that little turbo, and with no really load on the car it will build boost almost instantly. And you say a hissing sound around the turbo? It could be the sound of the turbo spooling up. Try doing a boost leak test again, and figure out why you can't hold any pressure, I'm betting that's a good chunk of your problem, if not all of it.

Add your comment to this topic!