Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Small issues with 1996 Prizm

Nightfox
10-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I recently bought a 1996 Prizm, in fairly good condition, with 146,800 miles. One little issue it has is the trip odometer doesn't move, although the main odometer works. Is this something that is common? Would be easy to fix? I'd be comfortable with taking the instrument cluster out of the dash and cleaning it if that's what it takes.

Another thing is that the back window seems to fog up quite a bit. As there is no rear window defogger and no rear window wiper, the best way I've found to keep the rear window fog-free is to run the A/C. But I don't want to do that in the winter.. Would Fog-X work?

69goatfarmer
10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Just bought a 96 Prism for my daughters 16th BD. They are OK cars. Cycle the AC on and off manually to remove the fog on the inside. Make sure there aren't any leaks in the car letting water in. The fog has to be coming from moisture inside somewhere (assuming the fog you see is on the inside of the glass).

jawberger
10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
i had the same problem with my trip odometer you just have to take it apart and the connection that spinds it proberly fell out of place atleast thats what mine was
and it's kinda weird you don't have a rear defroster i have a base model 96 and i have a rear defroster the button is right next to the parking flasher button in mine

Nightfox
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I figure the rear defrostor must have been an option. Next to the emergency flasher button in mine, there is a space where another button would be, but it is filled in with an empty piece of plastic. And there are no lines on the rear window as there would be with a rear defrostor.

n0rt0n
08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I'd be using that fog-x man. And take out the back seat right quick to see if you have any wet carpet...and check under the back seat mats for wetness too. I've had to put my 93 in our heated garage in the winter with the dehumidifier running in the back seat.

I might try a tub of rice, they say that draws a bunch of moisture out the air...

Hrm...maybe keep tea bags full of rice under the back seat....

I figure the rear defrostor must have been an option. Next to the emergency flasher button in mine, there is a space where another button would be, but it is filled in with an empty piece of plastic. And there are no lines on the rear window as there would be with a rear defrostor.

Add your comment to this topic!