Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cam Position Sensor/96 Acheiva 3.1

hardhead143
10-19-2006, 06:10 AM
:screwy: Can anyone tell me where to find the Cam Sensor on a 96 3.1 I have found two Crankshaft Position Sensors but no cam sensor, I have been to the library but couldn't find anything on cam sensor for that engine.:banghead:

Thank,
Hardhead143

BNaylor
10-19-2006, 07:57 AM
The 3.1L Vin "M" does have a camshaft position sensor. It is located in the area of the power steering pump at the engine block. The power steering pump must be removed to replace the sensor. One bolt secures it.

Welcome to AF.

hardhead143
10-19-2006, 09:58 AM
First off I just want to thank you for replying so fast, I have
posted this post on two other sites about a month ago and this
is the first reply I have received. maybe you can help me with
this problem. I am having trouble trying to troubleshoot what my
problem is, I pulled into my driveway about three weeks ago just
find then about two hours later when I went out to leave the car
wouldn't start, it just backfired throught the air filter,it will
crank then stop then crank again it acts like it has jumped time.
I have try a new Starter, new Plugs and I just finished putting
in a new Crankshaft Porition Sensor but it is still doing the
same thing. Dose anyone have an idea what could be wrong? where
do I go from here????
I check to timing chain yesterday and put it back together today
it was find. (fuel pump is working find too)Thank You, Roger

BNaylor
10-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Based on your symptoms have you checked all battery cables both positive and negative (ground)? Has the battery and charging system been tested?

hardhead143
10-20-2006, 08:45 AM
I can't keep the battery charged, the car keeps draining it when I try to start it but when I put cables on it she starts backfiring.
would the cam sensor cause this reaction? once I put the cam position in I won't know where else to go, I think I have changed everything there is to change.
but no I haven't check the charging system would that have the same effect like it has jumping time?

BNaylor
10-20-2006, 08:52 AM
The battery has a reserve capacity and cold cranking rating. If it degrades due to age and condition of battery, etc. then you may get sluggish engine cranking so that area must be looked at first before wasting money on sensors or other possible problems.

Another possibility is a short some place which could be starter or any circuit to the car like accessories, ignition, etc. This is called parasitic drain.

BTW - If you have a multimeter check the voltage across battery terminals while cranking and see the voltage drop. The ECM/PCM must have a minmum voltage input or you will get weird things.

In a worse case the timing could have jumped or you may have a valvetrain related problem like a bad valve due to the backfiring. But I've seen a bad MAF sensor and other issues cause backfiring.

hardhead143
10-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I have already checked the timing and it looks great, it's not broke and don't have any slack.
there is one thing that did catch my attention when I was lining up the timing marks on the gears the bottom one had a mark but the top one had no mark. I will be working on the cam sensor tomorrow, is the power steering pump hard to get to?

hardhead143
10-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Well I put the Cam Sensor on the car today and it is still doing the same thing but I don't think it is backfiring like it was, I did hear it spit a couple of times.

rhandwor
10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Unplug the battery negative and positive hook up to a charger. After it is fully charged the charger amps will drop very low. Check the voltage across the terminals it should be 12.8Volt. Then connect the battery positive leave the negative unhooked. Take a 12Volt test light and hook the connector to the cable. Touch the point to the battery if it lights you have drain. Unplug each fuse one at a time until the light goes out. This will help you pinpoint the problem. If you have a security system pull this fuse first and leave it disconnected for the test. Then check the rest of the system. You might have to disconnect the alternator if it has a ground in it. If the security system is the only problem area start watching that all lights shut off. Trunk and hood lights are also a problem area.
If you can't find it you can do a better test but would have to go to a garage.

Add your comment to this topic!