Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Caravan speedometer and cruise control

lanyo
10-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Hello All, I'm New here looking for some HELP please.:banghead: My wifes '91 Caravan with 3.3 and auto od trans, has a problem with the speedometer going wackie. It usually happens at 35 mph and higher. The needle will 'dance around' and occasionally will peg (momentarily) at 100 mph, even though we know we are NOT speeding. The needle dancing around (most of the time) is really anoying but the biggest problem is when it pegs. Once it pegs momentarily, within a couple seconds, is when the engine will stumble ( it has never quit completely) but will stumble a couple times and then run fine again.
Sometimes, the needle dances around alot and other times it seems normal, but the the biggest problem is once it bounces up to the 100 mph mark, thats when the engine will stumble, so if it's dancing up around a 100 alot, then the engine sumbles alot.
The cruise control works but very, very poorly. It never hold a steady speed.
I replaced the speedometer itself and the output sender on the trans and the trans computer, and nothing changed.
One other little clue and it only happened once, but I came to a complete stop and the needle was still jumping from 5 to 10 mph for a few seconds while I was stoped.
Thanks in advance for any help, I assure you it will be appreciated.:smooch:

1thunder
10-19-2006, 06:09 AM
if the speed sensor fails it could cause this as the pcm will cut the injectors when it receives a high vehicle speed like 110 mph this a built in program i would replace the vehicle speed sensor

lanyo
10-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks, could you tell me where this speed sensor is located ?

1thunder
10-19-2006, 06:52 PM
its located on top of the right axle housing at the trans i think that year was a 2 wire sensor one wire is white/with an orange tracer and the other is black/with a blue stripe

lanyo
10-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Thankyou very much 1 thunder. I will give that a try and reply on here in a couple days. again, thanks

lanyo
10-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Well 1 thunder, I put a speed sensor in and the speedometer and cruise control work great now. I want to thank you again for taking the tiime to help a stranger out. THANK YOU :smooch:

1thunder
10-20-2006, 08:45 PM
you are very welcome and i'm happy to help i know how expensive shop repairs are

Add your comment to this topic!