Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how can i make my own decals?

Bone Thug
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
is there a program or special type of paper i can print them on straight from my comp?

tigeraid
10-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Testors sells a package, at most local hobby shops, which has a few sheets of clear decal paper and a few sheets of white decal paper. You print with a bubble or inkjet, the same way you would anything else. You just have to have some skill with photoshop or whatever. I make a lot of my own.

Bone Thug
10-19-2006, 07:47 AM
and they come out the same as any other decals?

Svendsen
10-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Micro Mark got some decal papers.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=106

But i belive you need to seal them before you use them, else the ink will go off.

Nutsforcars
10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
You can print your own using the decal paper mentioned. If you have a good graphic, it's fairly easy. I've been doing it for quite a while now. Just be aware of a few limitations.

First, you cannot print white (although often the white decal paper takes care of that).
Second, if you use inkjet printers, the ink needs to be sealed since it is water soluble. I found it to be best to seal in two stages; first after printing I spray the whole sheet with Krylon clear. Then after cutting out the decals, spray again a thin layer to seal the edges. But be careful, the decals tend to fly away from the air pressure :banghead: .

Also, self-made decals seem to work better for larger decals and/or when you are able to cut it a distance from the actual print. It is also obvious that with the layers of clear on it, it is quite stiff as compared to "real" decals. :shakehead

In any case, do not expect your decals to go on well on the first try. I always print several to be able to repeat the process.
Cheers
Jens

tigeraid
10-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Yes, sorry, forgot to mention the sealer. It comes in a small can usually sold with the decal paper. About the only thing that doesn't always turn out "as good" is that the white on the white Testors paper isn't always that bright. I just try to keep it to a minimum unless I abgsolutely have to.

Gamerxz
10-19-2006, 11:18 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=628408&page=3

Thats my thread on my polizei .. this page contains the finished decals ....

Add your comment to this topic!