Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlight switch r&r 97 cv

commutergp
10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi All,
Been seeing that the headlight switch is a problem with a lot of these cars. Been having a problem with the inside electrics with my car. When I have the vent on and turn on the headlights, they go out and the dome light comes on and all of the dashlights & headlights come on momentarily. I here the relays clicking under the dash when this happens also....Shut the vent switch to off and the headlights come on and dome light shuts off. :screwy: Sometimes it happens and sometimes not - eveything works perfect. :shakehead Could this be a bad headlight switch? And, how in the hell do ya get the headlight switch out? I want to inspect it, but the panel it is in won't come out. Some trick way for it to be removed? Thanks in advance for any answers........BTW - this is an Ex police car...........

Mark

rivguy
10-19-2006, 06:24 PM
the blower motor and light switch do share a ground #203

commutergp
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok, that sounds like it might be it. I'll have to crawl under there and check the grounds. Not to sound stupid, but where is ground #203?

Thanks,
Mark

rivguy
10-24-2006, 12:01 PM
drivers side - under cowl near door.

commutergp
10-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok, I think I have found all the grounds under the dash. Some were loose and one was cruddy. Everything has been ok for now. Hopefully that was the problem.

commutergp
10-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, it happened again! This time was when I went to use the cigarett lighter! When it happened, I didn't have the headlights on......Could hear the relays clicking and the radio display went out. Lighter worked fine and when it popped out, relays clicked again and radio display came back. Is there possibly a short somewhere? I know a little about electrics, but not a whole lot.

Mark

commutergp
12-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I finally found the problem! My wife and I were driving around one day and the headlight thing started again. :mad: She hit the passenger kick panel and it straightened up! :smile: When I got some time, I took off the kick panel and found there are some relays and grounds there also. The ground screws had worked their way out to almost falling out!:screwy: Cleaned and tightened them and haven't had a problem since! Yay! :biggrin: I didn't realize how many grounds there are on this car! Thanks for everyones help.

Mark

Add your comment to this topic!