Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Jimmy ABS grabbing after wheel bearing replacement

Travisthetiger
10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I recently had my 98 Jimmy repaired at a collision shop. The front side took a hit and they had to rebuild the front left side. The replaced almost everything on that side. After getting the Jimmy back, it made a whirring noise after driving at highway speed, then slowing below 50 mph. I explained the noise to the shop and they said it sounded like the wheel bearing. I took the Jiimy back to the shop and they replaced the wheel bearing. Now it seems like the ABS is grabbing just before coming to a complete stop and the whirring/rubbing noise is still there. From what I have diagnosed, the whirring noise is the teeth on the drive shaft partially sitting against the 4WD, but not fully engaging it. If I put the truck into 4WD the noise stops. The ABS problem happens as I am coming to a stop. The brake pedal drops (like it would if slipping on ice) and then a straining noise can be heard from the front end. Then the brake pedal pulses a few times as the the truck comes to a complete stop. Any ideas on these problems???

mustangmike351c
10-20-2006, 08:34 PM
they may have damage the wheel speed sensor

BlazerLT
10-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Yip, wheel speed sensor problem.

They have to fix it, it is their problem, don't pay a dime.

muddog321
10-21-2006, 05:21 AM
One piece hub and the sensor comes with it so would look at the wire where it plugs into the harness about 2' up on the frame rail - follow it and you can feel it/see it. If it took a few days after the hub see if the wire is cut/pinched and the 2 bolt on wire retainer are actually installed to keep it out of the shock/A-arm/wheel.

Travisthetiger
10-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Yip, wheel speed sensor problem.

They have to fix it, it is their problem, don't pay a dime.

Thanks! I'm hoping the dealership agrees. The collision place sent it to a Chevrolet Dealer to have them look at it. I can see how the wheel speed sensor would cause the ABS to act squirrelly, and how the collision place is at fault because THEY replaced the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

But what about the rubbing/whirling noise? It only happens after driving at highway speed and slowing down. It sounds like gears that are not fully engaged and the teeth are rubbing. If I hit the 4WD Hi button, the rubbing noise disappears. I here the "Click" from the 4WD solenoid behind the dash and the 4WD light comes on like normal. However, the front wheels do not have power to them. Any ideas on this one?

BlazerLT
10-21-2006, 09:16 AM
CV joint problem as well.

They haven't fixed what was damaged during the accident.

Get on it pronto so they can get it fixed under the same claim.

Travisthetiger
10-21-2006, 09:21 AM
CV joint problem as well.

They haven't fixed what was damaged during the accident.

Get on it pronto so they can get it fixed under the same claim.

Already in the shop. :) I agree that it is all accident related, and the dealership should have no problem proving it. The collision place is just trying to get out of having to fix what they missed during the initial inspection, and also fix what they messed up during the initial repairs. Needless to say I will NOT be taking the Jimmy back to this particular collision place after this.

BlazerLT
10-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Good for you. ;)

Add your comment to this topic!