Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trans wont shift into second

J P D
10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey guys,

I just picked up a mazda navajo. no forum on here for them but they are the same as an explorer so I hope you guys wouldnt mind helping me out. the guy said it had a bad tps and that is why the check engine light is on and it doesnt shit itself into second gear, You have to let off the throttle and then it will shift up. after that 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shift fine. I just put on a new tps and it didnt solve the problem. any idea what could cause this? can I check the ecu for a flashing code on these cars? as the truck is now it drives fine as long as you let off the gas around 25mph to let it shift into second, could I just keep driving it like this or could I be messing something up?

thanks

92fordxman
12-18-2006, 05:10 PM
its going to be your govener on the rear of your trans, it controls shifts from 1st to 2nd. usually go out, if its 4x4 its between your trans and transfer case. pretty easy to do.

MT-2500
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,

I just picked up a mazda navajo. no forum on here for them but they are the same as an explorer so I hope you guys wouldnt mind helping me out. the guy said it had a bad tps and that is why the check engine light is on and it doesnt shit itself into second gear, You have to let off the throttle and then it will shift up. after that 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shift fine. I just put on a new tps and it didnt solve the problem. any idea what could cause this? can I check the ecu for a flashing code on these cars? as the truck is now it drives fine as long as you let off the gas around 25mph to let it shift into second, could I just keep driving it like this or could I be messing something up?

thanks

WHAT YEAR AND ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION AND MILEAGE?

92fordxman
12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
if its a 1991-1994 that would be an a4ld tranny, that would be the automatic.am i right? or is it a manual?

J P D
12-26-2006, 11:02 PM
A couple weeks ago while driving home the trans just stoped shifting into second alltogether. Now it just stays in first and when I put it in reverse it just revs out like its in neutral. Is that still a sign of the governor or is my trans toast? it is an auto 4x4 trans. the enigne was burning oil also so I found a guy local to me with a low millaige explorer with side impact damage. im just gonna buy that for a couple hundred and drop in the good engine and trans.

thanks again for the help

MT-2500
12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
A couple weeks ago while driving home the trans just stoped shifting into second alltogether. Now it just stays in first and when I put it in reverse it just revs out like its in neutral. Is that still a sign of the governor or is my trans toast? it is an auto 4x4 trans. the enigne was burning oil also so I found a guy local to me with a low millaige explorer with side impact damage. im just gonna buy that for a couple hundred and drop in the good engine and trans.

thanks again for the help

You are welcome. And thanks for posting back.
But check things out real close and make sure it will fit and work right.
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!