98 3.2 misfire on cylinders 3&5 coolant in spark plug tube

international bus
10-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I have a 1998 isuzu rodeo with 165,000k on the ticker. It is a great truck and I dont want to part with it.everything on it is perfect except. Every few hundred miles a small amount of coolant collects in the number 3&5 cylinder spark plug tube. approx.1/2 to 1". just eneough to short the plug and cause a random misfire code. their seems to be no coolant in the oil and once the coolant is removed it runs perfect. has anyone seen this before? I dont really see a way for coolant to get in there. also I have access to all-data it shows nothing. If anyone can help me It would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to return the favor by looking things up on all-data for you. Thanks

rodeo02
10-17-2006, 07:11 PM
This is a fairly common problem with some 1998-99 3.2/3.5 cylinder heads. They crack near the spark plug bosses. Not much you can do other than tear the top end apart and replace the leaky head. IIRC- the bad castings have a "K" or maybe a "W" stamping on the casting/part#. If you are due for a t-belt/waterpump changeout, thats the ideal time to throw a new head (or heads) on it.

Joel

BillJr
11-13-2006, 09:34 PM
My wife's 2000 Rodeo has now had both heads replaced under warranty for head cracks. Both times the crack ran across the center of the head, bascially across the spark plug holes.Both times we discovered the issue due to mis-firing and found the same coolant build up in the spark plug tubes as you note.I have to wonder if any other 2000+ owners have experienced this issue??

amigo-2k
11-13-2006, 09:49 PM
My wife's 2000 Rodeo has now had both heads replaced under warranty for head cracks. Both times the crack ran across the center of the head, bascially across the spark plug holes.Both times we discovered the issue due to mis-firing and found the same coolant build up in the spark plug tubes as you note.I have to wonder if any other 2000+ owners have experienced this issue??

both? I bet some newbie on the line over torqued them on the line.

rodeo02
11-13-2006, 10:25 PM
This is the first cylinder head cracking issue I've seen on 2000+ 3.2L

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!