code 304

mam29
10-17-2006, 02:34 AM
Hello, I have a dodge ram 1500,2003 and have the code 304 showing up. This means #4 misfiring. If any one has any sugestion on the problem and a fix please let me know. Thanks'

MAM

HeavyJ
10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
How many miles on it, and have the sparkplugs been changed?

mam29
10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
thanks for replying and it has 70,000 miles and I have changed # 2 and #4 spark plugs

mam29
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
thanks heavy j for replying, it has 70,000 and I have changed #2 and #4 plugs

1thunder
10-17-2006, 08:28 PM
what engine does it have and what maitenance did it get code p0304 is cyl # 4 missfire and could be caused by many different things [injector or wiring or spark plug wires if equipped or compression issues vacuum leaks etc...]

mam29
10-21-2006, 08:45 AM
[quote=1thunder]what engine does it have and what maitenance did it get code p0304 is cyl # 4 missfire and could be caused by many different things [injector or wiring or spark plug wires if equipped or compression issues vacuum leaks etc...][/qu

It has a 4.9L . I have changed spark plugs , fuel rail , ingnition coil and injectors. Any more suggetion will be appreicated.

HeavyJ
10-21-2006, 02:08 PM
You said you changed the coil, try switching the coil to another cylinder and running and see if misfire follows to that cylinder. Also see if you can get ahold of a noid light at your parts place, only a few dollars, hook to injector wiring and see if getting consistant fire to injector. while running , spray some carb cleaner around intake near that cylinder to check for any possible intake leakes. You may need to do a compression check on that cylinder too if nothing else turns up, it could be some carbon build up not letting valve close, weak valve spring, slightly burned valve, etc.

mam29
10-22-2006, 12:39 PM
You said you changed the coil, try switching the coil to another cylinder and running and see if misfire follows to that cylinder. Also see if you can get ahold of a noid light at your parts place, only a few dollars, hook to injector wiring and see if getting consistant fire to injector. while running , spray some carb cleaner around intake near that cylinder to check for any possible intake leakes. You may need to do a compression check on that cylinder too if nothing else turns up, it could be some carbon build up not letting valve close, weak valve spring, slightly burned valve, etc.

I have already switched the coils around thinking the same thing. I have also switched the injectors around thinking it might be that too. I will try the other ideals that you have mentioned and take it from there. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!