Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what is the problem?

Jergin01
10-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I brought my car to a mechanic who usually fixes all of my problems, but not this time. He replaces a pitman arm and said my tire was rubbing. Yeah, right. My Blazer is riding so rough that its annoying me now. Here is a list of the problems:
-The front passenger side wheel squeaks while driving straight at low speeds (less than 20mph). It stops making noise if you step on the brakes, turn the wheel to the right-hand side, or turn the music up.
-If you are driving straight, no matter what speed, and turn the wheel anything more than three inches to the left, and there is a grinding noise which sounds like it is coming from the driver side wheel. The grinding noise gets a lot louder at 70+mph.
-When your going down an incline and turn to the left side, something sounds like metal whacking metal one time. This doesn't happen if you have the brakes pressed.
What do I have to do to fix all of this? What parts am I looking at?

old_master
10-17-2006, 04:31 PM
The brake pads have a warning sensor and it is designed to make a squeaking sound when it contacts the rotor indicating the pads are worn out and in need of replacement. Remove the front wheels and check the pad wear, replace them if necessary.

The grinding noise while turning may be a worn wheel bearing. To inspect the hub/bearing assemblies, the wheel must be installed on the vehicle and off of the ground. Grasp the wheel with one hand at the 12 o'clock position and your other hand at the 6 o'clock position. Rock the top of the wheel in and out and watch/feel for any movement. There should not be any noticeable movement, if there is; the hub/bearing needs replacement. There are two sets of bearings in each hub, one inner and one outer. While driving, turning the steering wheel to the left will load the right outer and left inner bearings. Turning the steering wheel to the right loads the left outer and right inner bearings. Determine which side the noise is emanating from and you've found your worn bearing/hub. The bearings are serviced by hub replacement only.

Jergin01
10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
The brake pads have a warning sensor and it is designed to make a squeaking sound when it contacts the rotor indicating the pads are worn out and in need of replacement. Remove the front wheels and check the pad wear, replace them if necessary.

The grinding noise while turning may be a worn wheel bearing. To inspect the hub/bearing assemblies, the wheel must be installed on the vehicle and off of the ground. Grasp the wheel with one hand at the 12 o'clock position and your other hand at the 6 o'clock position. Rock the top of the wheel in and out and watch/feel for any movement. There should not be any noticeable movement, if there is; the hub/bearing needs replacement. There are two sets of bearings in each hub, one inner and one outer. While driving, turning the steering wheel to the left will load the right outer and left inner bearings. Turning the steering wheel to the right loads the left outer and right inner bearings. Determine which side the noise is emanating from and you've found your worn bearing/hub. The bearings are serviced by hub replacement only.

Now how much do you think this will run me? And do you think it will make my ride a lot better?

old_master
10-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Repair costs vary depending on your location. Brake pads and wheel bearings will not affect ride quality. If they are in need of replacement and are replaced, the noises should go away.

Jergin01
10-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Brake pads and wheel bearings will not affect ride quality.

So then what should I replace to make the ride better? Shocks...? When I bought the car it rode so nice, but the ride seems like its getting progressivly worse.

ricebike
10-17-2006, 10:56 PM
bring your car to a different mechanic~2nd opinion

Jergin01
10-28-2006, 06:06 PM

Well you drilled it, turned out to be a mess of problems but the main one was the wheel bearing. Hub needed to be replaced like you said ($457 w/ labor). The other issue was the brakes. Since the bearing was broken it wore the brakes 90% on one side and 75% on the other. WOW! Then the brake fluid was disgusting. It came out to be a chunk of change but at least it rides like new.

old_master
10-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Glad you're back in business.

Add your comment to this topic!