Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

T-top installation question?

CamaroShifter85
10-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I've just recently bought an '86 Camaro as a project car, and have a lot of work to do on it. I was wondering if installing a t-top would cost a pretty penny, or jsut a lot of work, or both? Like, about how much would it cost if the idea comes to mind? My friend works at an collisions repair shop, and he offered to help me with my project car because he loves to work with cars, especially camaros like he has. So installation won't be a hassle, however I'm just wanting to konw about an apporximation of a price, or what all I'll need. A list of items would be most helpful, since ebay cna probably help me from there. Or should I even go through the hassle of making it a T-top? Thanks

skibum1111
10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Easiest way to accomplish this: Buy a car with t-tops. 3rd generation conversions involve swapping the entire roof, including pillars. They have to be drilled out at the firewall and at the b-pillar where that meets the unibody. The car that is getting the new roof has to be supported perfectly level and straight during the entire transplant process. Moving the car compromises the unibody's straightness, thus making an alignment almost impossible. If you decide to go ahead with this, be very careful as you could end up with a useless pile of metal when you are done if this is not done correctly.

ZL1power69
10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
i would say its not worth the hassle or the money involved. i would rather have the hardtop. the chassis will not flex as much as a t-top car and no leaks.

CamaroShifter85
10-16-2006, 06:54 PM
hmm, ok. Everyone seems to be siding w/ keeping the hardtop, so I'll probably stick with it. I'm actually on a somewhat tight budget as well, so I'm guessing it'll be a bit tooo extreme. Thanks everyone.

666_speed
10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
4th gen cars (93-02) have the t-top support already built into the car making the swap very simple. A company out west did the conversions on 3rd gens but it was up in the thousands for the swap.

bag91
10-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Thousands=not worth it

philly rs
10-18-2006, 04:33 PM
ask blind eyed... i think thats who i sold my t tops to when i wrecked the black rs....he did the swap but it was a 4th gen. it can be cheap if u do all the work and get the parts from someone who had bad luck like me and totaled their car.

666_speed
10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I have done the swap personally to my 4th gen, a 3rd gen is a totally different project all together, none of the information applies there.

bag91
10-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Might as well buy a Camaro with T-tops.....they really dont cost that much.....although im thinking 3rd gen which I think is what we were talking about in the first place?.?.

Add your comment to this topic!