Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Alero Replacement Blower Motor Revisited

xthirdimpact
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Greetings all!

I am going to be revisting my lady's Alero and replacing her blower motor.

A year ago i replaced both the resistor and the motor, but it seems there is water making its way into the blower area. What makes me think this is that the nut assembly in the middle of the blower unit is rusted AGAIN.

When we turn on the fan, it'll grumble then SQEEEEEEEEEL!!!!

The blower has a lifetime warrantee on it, so i'm replacing it. I hate getting under the dash and had a few ?'s for you, the educated Old's owners:

1) anyone know where this water/moisture is possibly coming from?

2) Anyone have this issue and replace the motor with a certain brand/type and cured the issue?

I want my lady to have her heat and defogger in the cold New England winter!

Thanks all!

indymajor
10-16-2006, 05:39 PM
sorry i cant help you i was getting on here with the same problem, i just pulled the old resistor out and put a new one in and nothing happened so i pulled the new resistor back out and it was damp. so next i pulled the blower motor itself out and it was wet also. It seems to be just water, it doesnt look or smell anything like antifreeze or then i would think the heater core was leaking. My blower motor hasnt worked in one and a half years so i thought with running the a/c and the motor not actually turning for that long of a time and the fact that it has been raining here that it might have built up from that. but now that i have read this thread and somebody has already replaced on resistor and motor and is now having the same problem as me, im leaning more towards something else. any info would be appreciated.

xeroinfinity
10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Thiers a drain that can bepluged up.
Theirs a tube that runs from the blower area to the outside to the firewall.
I guess theirs a flap type thing covering it to prevent water from blowing straight in.
Its probly only visable from the bottom of the firewall on the passenger side.

Most likly its pluged and not leting moisture drain right.
It'll need cleaned out with a wire or something.

xthirdimpact
10-17-2006, 08:12 PM
ok, now how about the replacement? Advance Auto has a factory motor for $43. Lifetime warrantee. This is the one i replaced it with and its squeelin bad. I dont wanna blow $90 on motor, but should i?

xeroinfinity
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
ok, now how about the replacement? Advance Auto has a factory motor for $43. Lifetime warrantee. This is the one i replaced it with and its squeelin bad. I dont wanna blow $90 on motor, but should i?

So you already bought 1 of these blower motors?
You might try and oiling the shaft on the blower.
Up against the housing, and move it in and out to work in the oil.
That might keep it quiet.

Thats what happens when the motors get wet.
I hav some that are almost 40yrs old in older cars and they still work fine. So they can last a realy long time, when dry!

xthirdimpact
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
So you already bought 1 of these blower motors?
You might try and oiling the shaft on the blower.
Up against the housing, and move it in and out to work in the oil.
That might keep it quiet.

Thats what happens when the motors get wet.
I hav some that are almost 40yrs old in older cars and they still work fine. So they can last a realy long time, when dry!

Yes, i have a year-old motor in there now which is squeeling, and the moisture/water is leaking in from somewhere. The guy above posted in some broken-english, but i think i get what he was saying. I'll have to be Mr. Fantasic and rubber-neck to see what is cloggin the works in there.

xeroinfinity
10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
heres a pic of the drain on my N body (GA), this might giv you a better idea of what youre looking for. yours might look different but its in the same local.
This pic is from above down by the firewall.
HVAC Drain (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/auto%20odds-ends/HVACDrain.jpg)

I would try oiling that blower before you buy a new one!

xthirdimpact
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks Xero,...i'll check that out asap! I'll try oiling the blower and cranking it,..see how it goes....but the metal middle bolt/nut that holds the plastic fan device on is rusted pretty badly.

jdauto
02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Oldsmobile has a cure for this. There is a piece of foam they sell to keep water from leaking into the fan motor. I beleive It was TSB 01-08-57-003 SEP 01. If you go to a Gm dealer they can look this up and order you the seal. It is easy to replace.

xeroinfinity
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Thankx for your input jdauto.
But please look at the dates before posting, we do not need to resurect threads older then 3 months.

This is closed.

Add your comment to this topic!