Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replaced ignition switch

Decipha
10-15-2006, 07:59 PM
some of you may remember i had a friend with a 97 gtp that had several problems... the blower didn't work on any setting other than 5 and the car wouldn't turn over some times, well today i replaced the ignition switch and the blower works on lower settings and car starts like a champ first time every time... just thought i would post an update and felt too lazy too go dig up the old thread

BNaylor
10-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Does this thread look familiar?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=574421&highlight=ignition+switch+decipha

Feel free to update it. It is your choice.

voip1
11-02-2006, 06:55 AM
I need to replace my ignition switch but I have jumped the switch for now. Here's what I found:

I too had a "no blower" intermittenly on my 2001 GTP. I noticed the DIC would go off, the Daytime Running Lamps would blink, and the heated driver's seat would go off. This started after I had the transmission rebuild (165K miles). I guessed that the trans shop broke a ground but after looking at the wiring diagram, I noticed that these were all in the same circut. I isolated the trouble to be at the ignition switch. I haven't had the time to remove the steering wheel and air bag, so I jumped the switch at the connector at the base of the steering wheel. There is an ignition relay on the power supply to these circuts so the blower does not stay on when you shut the car off but it does continue to blow when starting the engine. I'm happy with my temp repair.

I still have an intermitten "no rear speakers" which I will diagnose when I get the IP apart.

BNaylor
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
I need to replace my ignition switch but I have jumped the switch for now. Here's what I found:

I too had a "no blower" intermittenly on my 2001 GTP. I noticed the DIC would go off, the Daytime Running Lamps would blink, and the heated driver's seat would go off. This started after I had the transmission rebuild (165K miles). I guessed that the trans shop broke a ground but after looking at the wiring diagram, I noticed that these were all in the same circut. I isolated the trouble to be at the ignition switch. I haven't had the time to remove the steering wheel and air bag, so I jumped the switch at the connector at the base of the steering wheel. There is an ignition relay on the power supply to these circuts so the blower does not stay on when you shut the car off but it does continue to blow when starting the engine. I'm happy with my temp repair.

I still have an intermitten "no rear speakers" which I will diagnose when I get the IP apart.

As long as the repair is temp sounds good. BTW - You do not need to remove the steering wheel and airbag to replace the ignition switch and harness assembly. Just pull the airbag fuse for safety. The procedure for the switch is posted so just do a search for "ignition switch".

The most common problem on the stock rear speakers is one or more of them is bad.

Decipha
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
yeah i didnt have to remove the air bag nor the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch on the 97 gtp... all went well except for the stupid star bolts that gave me trouble, couldn't find the right tool so instead i used a pair of needle nose pliars... took me about 25 min to finally get it out because i couldn't grip it... you shall see

voip1
11-06-2006, 06:19 AM
The most common problem on the stock rear speakers is one or more of them is bad.

Thanks Bob. I had a chance to check my speakers. Right is bad. Left is intermitten. Thanks for the info. I would have guessed a connection on the radio or at the harness connector. You saved me some time. I guess I don't have to tear the dash apart, althought I will get the chance to tear the rear deck apart. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!