Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 talon engine problems

90laser1.8
10-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok... i'm looking into buying a 1991 eagle talon... it has the 2.0 turbo.. with aftermarket turbo on it... i have the 1990 laser 1.8 now.... the talon... he was driving down the road and it shut off.... it did not blow motor... or snap timing belt... but.. while cranking the engine to start. the cams do not move... once u leave up on the starter they start to spin... for like 1 sec... then they quit again... he's asking an unbelievable price for it... what could be the problem... and is it worth $300.. please help me... u guys did it before.. thank you:uhoh:

Blackcrow64
10-15-2006, 07:16 PM
How is 300 an unbelievebale price? I would say its a good price so long as the timing belt isn't broke. But, you realize the only thing that makes the cams turn IS the timing belt. So right there you know somethings majorly wrong with it.

90laser1.8
10-15-2006, 07:23 PM
i know the timing belt isn't broken... we found out its the teeth on the belt are stripped... the cams didn't actually turn... they rocked... so.. now my only question is... if the engine would be messed up...

How is 300 an unbelievebale price? I would say its a good price so long as the timing belt isn't broke. But, you realize the only thing that makes the cams turn IS the timing belt. So right there you know somethings majorly wrong with it.

Thor06
10-15-2006, 07:26 PM
:werd: If the starter is cranking over and the cams arent spinning, you've got either A) a broken/jumped timing belt (99.4% chance) or B) messed up starter gear or flywheel. I think $300 and a few hours of elbow grease is an excellent way to get into DSMing, I would get it, fix the problems, sell the 1.8, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Blackcrow64
10-15-2006, 07:35 PM
i know the timing belt isn't broken... we found out its the teeth on the belt are stripped... the cams didn't actually turn... they rocked... so.. now my only question is... if the engine would be messed up...
Well if it isn't broken and your missing teeth on it then what do you call that? Perfectly fine? No, we call it a broken timing belt and if the belt is spinning and just rocking the cams then your crank has been turning fine. Hence skipped timing and bent valves. Yes the engine is messed up.

defiancy
10-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Ok... i'm looking into buying a 1991 eagle talon... it has the 2.0 turbo.. with aftermarket turbo on it... i have the 1990 laser 1.8 now.... the talon... he was driving down the road and it shut off.... it did not blow motor... or snap timing belt... but.. while cranking the engine to start. the cams do not move... once u leave up on the starter they start to spin... for like 1 sec... then they quit again... he's asking an unbelievable price for it... what could be the problem... and is it worth $300.. please help me... u guys did it before.. thank you:uhoh:

I agree with what thor said. Especially if this car is in good shape body wise, you might have yourself a steal for 300 bucks. The shell alone is probably worth 300 bucks. You are probably looking at a motor rebuild if the timing belt spun. The pistons probably hit the valves and bent them. As long as the pistons aren't damaged and the valves are just bent and head not destroyed, it's not a very expensive fix.

If I was in your situation I would buy this car.

90laser1.8
10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
no... alright... the teeth on the belt are stripped down by the crank... not on the crank gear... or the cams... the belt alone is stripped...also... while engine is cranking there is no tapping or knocking sound... either way it doesn't matter even if it did bend valves cuz i can get the head done for 150... i just didn't know if it was worth 300 bucks...

I agree with what thor said. Especially if this car is in good shape body wise, you might have yourself a steal for 300 bucks. The shell alone is probably worth 300 bucks. You are probably looking at a motor rebuild if the timing belt spun. The pistons probably hit the valves and bent them. As long as the pistons aren't damaged and the valves are just bent and head not destroyed, it's not a very expensive fix.

If I was in your situation I would buy this car.

defiancy
10-16-2006, 12:16 AM
no... alright... the teeth on the belt are stripped down by the crank... not on the crank gear... or the cams... the belt alone is stripped...also... while engine is cranking there is no tapping or knocking sound... either way it doesn't matter even if it did bend valves cuz i can get the head done for 150... i just didn't know if it was worth 300 bucks...

If the belt is stripped than the valves are most likely bent.

No big deal. I would Def say it's worth 300, especially if it's an upgraded turbo, you might be able to sell that for more than 300

Add your comment to this topic!