Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Skylark Re-Learn Theft System...

Dark Star
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I was having a starting problem and took the car into the local Buick dealer. They diagnosed the problem as being a bad Ignition Switch and Cylinder the total repair was $555.93 and I drove the car away. The next morning my car would not start... same old problem the engine cranks but there's a problem with the Anti Theft System so I came in here and found a thread concerning this very problem. I learned that I might have a bad ICP (Instrument Cluster Panel) I could get the car to start but the key had to be in the ON position for up to 10 minutes before the ICP lights would come on and then it would start.

I found a working ICP and replaced it today so that as soon as the key is in and on the ON position ALL of the ICP lights come on just as they should but now the Anti Theft light blinks on and off and the engine will not start.

My question here is.... Is there ANY way that I can get this new ICP to recognize my ignition switch so my engine will start? I'm not exactly happy with the Buick service department and I'm willing to do all that I can to avoid going back there.

Thanks in advance...

BNaylor
10-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Welcome to AF.

All I can suggest to to try the relearn again. Key to on for at least 10 minutes and off for about 30 minutes. Repeat if necessary.

Here is an old thread on Passlock which may help.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=156814&highlight=relearn

BTW - Do not resurrect the old thread. Thanks.

Dark Star
10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Thank You for your prompt reply.

After several tries I did manage to get the relearn to take and now it works fine.

Just a quick side note... I disconnected the battery until all the codes were cleared and then the relearn finally worked.

DS

Add your comment to this topic!