Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help with my speakers

GTPSPEED
10-15-2006, 04:42 PM
ok guys i put this in off topic cuz its about my gtp...well i have a subwoofer and i am trying to hook it up to my back speakers i figured i could do this cuz when i got it ,it was cabled for an amp,but its gone and i have a stock amp with bose system,so i wanted to take the 2 wires from the back of the woofer and hook it to the back speakers.Where would be the best place to tap into to get some boom from this woofer,or can i even do this??. ~joe

Thor06
10-15-2006, 05:14 PM
My brother has done this on all of his cars execpt his first one because the first car's deck got stolen all the time. What you are going to want to is find one of the rear speaker wires and slice it then get yourself an amp with speaker level inputs. I have seen (and F-ed around with) things that supposedly convert from speaker level inputs to RCA but I've never gotten one of those POS's to work. You might see a slight degradation in sound quality from the speaker you spliced, but I am not sure because I have never heard a setup like that before and after.

Also I moved it here because even thought its not for a DSM, it is still a nonpeformance mod.

gthompson97
10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
If I was to do this (although I probably never would) I would tap into it right at the head unit. That way you're not drawing all that power through such a small size wire. Also beef up the wire a little bit. IIRC, the stock speaker wire is something like 22 gauge, try using 18-16 gauge speaker wire for the sub.

nova1313
10-15-2006, 07:12 PM
if you want a box to go from back to line level inputs I think i still have mine sitting in my garage from my old spyder. yours you pay shipping of 2-3 bucks if I can find it.

You tap off both back speakers hook up the rca's and use the adjustment on the box to turn it up. Worked great. Nothing compared to having a real hu with outputs though....

Add your comment to this topic!