Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with new tranny.

DSMNerd6889
10-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey guys, I've got the gsx running now. I got the tranny rebuilt by tre... when I took the car for a test drive, I couldn't shift into any gear very easily. The car has been sitting for two years... could you give me some possible things to look for? Thanks.

NOFX0617
10-14-2006, 04:21 PM
If you just got the tranny rebuilt I think it takes a little while for they synchros to break in and should get easier over time....just be easy on it for a while...

Thor06
10-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Did you adjust the shift cables properly? What about the clutch, is that installed and working properly? What kind of fluid did you put in? I would check to make sure you did everything right and call TRE. They should be able to tell you the normal break in procedure of their trannies and if this is normal or not.

Did you put in a short throw shifter and/or metal shift bushings/bearings? Short throw shifters and metal bushings and bearings will make it shift harder, a good way to counter act that is with a heavier shift knob. Skunk2 makes like a 500 gram (~1 lb) shift knob that my buddy really likes.

Just curious, how much did it run you?

Also, this should go in the Problem Diagnosis section. :thumbsup:

DSMNerd6889
10-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I paid a little over 1200 bucks. I made sure that I used all the fluids that they told me too (but I can't remember off the top of my head what all they were it was almost 6 months ago). The clutch was installed by a shop ( I assume they did that correctly.) The only thing I'm not sure about is the shift cables... can you fill me in on that, I'm not sure what to do as far as adjusting them. Also, I didn't add a short shifter or bushings or anything of that nature. Thanks again.

Thor06
10-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I dont know about proper shift cable adjustment. I would pick up a Haynes manual, that should tell you that and everything else you might need to know about your car. On thing that came to my mind is that its possible the fluid didnt get a chance to get around and lube everything up yet. How hard did it go into gear? I think your best bet would be to call TRE and see what they can tell you.

wanaplay134
10-15-2006, 01:24 AM
thor wasnt it you that had 2 broke down awds

Thor06
10-15-2006, 01:52 AM
:lol: Yes, thank you for pointing that out... ;)

Blackcrow64
10-15-2006, 02:07 AM
"Had"? I am pretty sure its "has". Isn't that right Dustin? lol :rolleyes: :p

wanaplay134
10-15-2006, 08:18 PM
no i wasnt trying to be rude i understand completely im just looking for a tranny and transfer case and wondered if you wanted to part with a set and make some money

i can barely shift into second and its leaking somewhere out the passenger side

sganc4life_4
10-15-2006, 08:29 PM

That made me lol.

Thor06
10-15-2006, 08:51 PM
no i wasnt trying to be rude i understand completely im just looking for a tranny and transfer case and wondered if you wanted to part with a set and make some money

i can barely shift into second and its leaking somewhere out the passenger side
Well you hurt my feelings really, really bad. ;)

Actually, yes I would be willing to part with one. The only thing is, its back home. Its the one from the 91 TSI AWD I have. Its still in the car but if we got a price worked out I would be willing to take some time out of Christmas break for sure to pull it or depending on time off, maybe over Thanksgiving. Lets bring this to PM's if you want more info :).

Blackcrow64
10-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Don't forget to make sure the splines match guys. In the worst case scenerio he would need the tranny AND tranfer case for it to work if the splines do not match his exisiting transfer case.

Thor06
10-15-2006, 09:19 PM
91 and 92 trannies are the same spline count, I already thought of that. :) I think 90's are the oddball, 91-94's are the same, and 95+.

Blackcrow64
10-15-2006, 09:38 PM
For some reason I was thinking it was different than that... But who knows...

Add your comment to this topic!