Motor swap!

aj817
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Ok, so here's the story if you care yo hear why the hell I'm doing this. If not, skip to the next paragraph. (It'll be more to the point, I promise.) My daddy passed away a couple years ago, and his baby was this '91 Miata... And it's now my baby. Well, long story short, my clutch was slipping on and off, nothing consistant. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I took it to some buddies to see what they said, and I was advised to get a new slave cylinder. I did, but the problem wasn't fixed. I was told that I needed to get a new clutch, but I didn't want to believe that because my clutch is NOT that old. I got a second opinion, and it turns out that my clutch IS gone... because of leaking seal and gaskets and oil everywhere, the whole deal. Everything that can be wrong with that engine... IS. So, my options are A) Get a new car. B) Rebuild the engine. C) Get a new engine. Well... Option A is out of the question. I'm not going to get rid of my Daddy's baby... Besides, I love that car. It's got 133K on it, and rebuilding an engine that old was going to cost me about the amount of getting a new engine. So... I decided on option C. I also decided to have a little fun with it. Might as well, right?

So I ordered a 1.8 L BPT with an AWD tranny. I don't want to go into the AWD conversion. I don't have THAT much money to spend on this project, so I'm hoping I can use the new stock transmission that I just ordered. I have limited experience when it comes to things like this. (Ok, so the only experience I have comes from putting a straight 6 and a Shelby Cobra tranny in my exboyfriend's '68 Mustang... back when I wasn't nearly as much of a car fanatic as I am now.) If anyone has any information about going from the stock 1.6 L B6 to the 1.8 L BPT, let me know. I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks!

-Anna

iluvtruenos
12-07-2006, 05:22 PM
First off, I've read your posts on different boards (helping ex with Mustang), so I've read about your issues with the 1.6. The engine that you ordered is out of a 323 GT-X turbo...basically you have a turbocharged 1.8 liter engine. Did you buy an entire front clip, or just the engine/drivetrain? If it's a front clip, the computer can be salvaged, but if it's just the engine, you've got quite some work ahead of you.

First off, the 323 is a FWD configuration, meaning you'll have to do quite a bit of rerouting and bracketry work. In the end, you'll probably spend close to a grand just getting all the right stuff needed for the swap. However, in the end, a turbo'd miata 1.8 would be pretty sweet....after you deal with the custom exhaust required since the exhaust might hit the fender. However, if you bought just the engine, you're SOL, as you're most likely going to have to use the stock ECU without a turbo and an AFM.

If you want, I have a 1997 Miata that I'm parting out, it's got 43,000 miles, and a 1.8 Miata swap is a lot easier than a FWD 1.8 swap.

Also, where are you located, there are many Miata enthusiasts around that can help you out.

aj817
12-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Actually, the engine is set up for AWD and the stock Miata tranny can bolt straight on no problems. I've got the AWD tranny with the engine, so I'm gonna be able to sell it to get a little of my money back. The exhaust is going to be a problem, but I was going to have to replace my system anyway (just old and burnt out). The ECU is in question, but I've done my research. It looks like it won't be too bad of a setup.

AMIRabbit
01-10-2007, 12:58 AM
i have a 1995 miata 1.8 that i just rebuilt and put about $1500 into the motor (flowbenched, shaved head, port polished, balanced, pistons, rings, ect.)
i looked into the swap myself and talked to a few guys who used the 323 as rallyx cars for about 7 years.. they have built and modified the 323 and motors more than alot of people in the us.

the hardest part in the miata swap is the intake.... which if the motor is put in a front wheel drive car works, in the miata however it hits the firewall and is more or less mounted backwards. this wouldn't be such a big deal but that is really the only way to run the charge pipping (unless you go really custom)

anyways good luck and let me know how it comes along

Grayson Aka shopmonkey

95' miata Type R
84' Vw rabbit GTI
70' datsun 240z

Add your comment to this topic!