Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Compound and fine scratches in the finish

Hawk312
09-05-2002, 07:33 PM
I`m having trouble with the finish on my current project. I used Tamiya Light green and followed it with 4 or 5 coats of clear. I started wet sanding with 4000 grit sanding cloth, and then went to Tamiya compound. How long should it take to rub it out? I can still see really fine scratches in the finish when under a light, even though the finish is glossy. I am using a cotton cloth. Polishing doesnt help. Do I need to use the compound longer? I have been working on rubbing out the roof of the car for about 5 minutes or so. For some reason, the automotive paints I`ve used on past models were easier to rub out. Thanks.

daggerlee
09-05-2002, 07:41 PM
Those might be scratches underneath the clearcoat? Just a thought, how long did you let the whole thing cure?

Jay!
09-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Maybe your sanding cloth has some particles lodged in it, and they were making >4000 grit scratches as you went... :confused:

Hawk312
09-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Those might be scratches underneath the clearcoat? Just a thought, how long did you let the whole thing cure?

Actually, not very long. It`s been about 5 days. I know that`s soon, but i know some here have done it in less time than that. I think I may stop out tomorrow and get another sanding cloth. The paint is very glossy, but there are scratches here and there.

TheSyndicate
09-05-2002, 08:23 PM
If the scratches are visible in the 'right light', then they are most likely in the clearcoat. The same concept applies to real cars where clearcoat doesn't help to hide blemishes. You might want to try some professional scratch remover like 3m finish restorer. I had some nasty swirl marks on the clearcoat on my viper, and after using the 3m the scratches disappeared and the whole thing was shinier than chrome.

primera man
09-06-2002, 03:02 AM
I cant work out why people have to sand??...if the paint is good and has no orange peel, just leave it and use compound only.
If there is some orange peel...yes, it will need to be given a light sand followed by some rubbing compound.
As for clear coats...i think everybody knows what i think of it, IMO it makes the car look to "unreal" and seem's a waste of time to me if you already have a excellant paint finish.
Just my 2 cents worth.

:D

Hawk312
09-06-2002, 07:39 AM
I cant work out why people have to sand??...if the paint is good and has no orange peel, just leave it and use compound only.

All of my models have had orange peel to some degree because I don`t use an airbush. The orange peel wasn`t very noticeable on the project I am working on right now, but I am a perfectionist who has to have the paint perfectly smoot. :( :bloated:

As for clear coats...i think everybody knows what i think of it, IMO it makes the car look to "unreal" and seem's a waste of time to me if you already have a excellant paint finish.

Really? Hmm. I was working without clear for a while. It seems to me that there is a "deeper" look to the finish with clear coat. Maybe it`s just me. I never use it on white or certain other light colors for sure though.

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

Add your comment to this topic!