2003 Taurus anti-theft system?

flipper7969
10-12-2006, 02:50 AM
I have a 2003 Taurus and recently had an interlock device remove from it but now it will not start what so ever. I keep gettting the anti-theft light blinking really quickly. I have checked all the fuses under the dash and where the mega fuse is and all seem to be working properly. Also when i link the cylinoid to the starter the motor on it seems to crank but no crank of the actual engine.

Anyways to my question is there a way to reset this alarm system without having to go to the ford people and having to pay them close to 300$ to reset this and make a new key for me as they said this could be a problem. Any help would be very greatly appreciated as im not really a mechanic but i know enough to get myself around a car if told how to properly do it.
Thanks in Advance

Millermagic
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
You have discovered PATS - it sucks. There's no way around it.

shorod
10-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Which interlock device did you have removed? Was it a shift interlock, PATS system, or what? Did the car ever start after the interlock device was removed? Why did you remove it? Does the car sound like it's attempting to start, it just won't fire, or does the starter not even engage (I'm guessing the latter based on your comment about jumpering the solenoid)?

If you're referring to the PATS system, then as Millermagic said, there's really no way around it. The PATS system is programmed to the PCM, if the PCM doesn't see it, it won't let the engine start.

-Rod

flipper7969
10-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Interlock device as a breathalyzer by guardian systems. When I turn the key over i hear clicking under the dash panel and under the mega fuse panel but no fire which im guessing it is the pats system .. how do i go about getting this reset and is it possible when the guy took it off(the interlock device) that the key got reset?

shorod
10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Did the car ever start successfully after the interlock device was removed? If so, how long did it work fine before acting up?

If it can be traced to the removal of the interlock, then the removal shop should pay to get the PATS keys reprogrammed. If not, then you'll probably be in for about $70 to get your keys reprogrammed. You'll need 2 keys I believe, so if you only have one, there may be another $60-$70 for a new key.

-Rod

flipper7969
10-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Nope did not ever start after he removed it.. Thing was it had messed up because of the firmware update on the handheld device so he had me bypass it to get it up to the shop to remove it. So it worked when i drove it up there as i drove it for 2 day's like this. When he did remove it it would not start up again. I didn't figure out it was the pats system till after i called the ford dealership and they informed me about the quick flashing lights on the dash.. which from what im told means it was set off. Anyways the guy is trying to blame me for it being triggered when i know it worked fine when i drove it up there . So only way to get the car to start is to have another key made? What do i do after i get the key made it will auto start or what?

shorod
10-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Well, since it worked when you took it to the shop and didn't work after he removed the system, then I'd say chances are very good that he didn't properly uninstall the device. To get the car to start initially with the interlock device, they somehow had to bypass the PATS system. He may have left a connection unplugged, or he may have broken one of the transponder antenna wires. These are very fine wires that encompass the key cylinder switch.

So I guess if the uninstaller is adament that the problem was not caused by the uninstall, you could try to get him to sign a paper that you will have the car towed to the dealership for repair, and if they find that the cause of the no start is due to the uninstall, he will pay for the towing and repair bill.

From what you last typed, I don't think having another key made will solve your problem. The dealership, or other shop with a high-end scan tool should be able to access the PATS system to determine what it thinks the problem is.

Good luck!

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!