Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats EGR?

capriceowns
10-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I know EGR means exhaust gas recirulation(sp) But do I need it to have my engine run properly?

Im building a 383 as most of you know (actually got the block back today, all clean and ready :) )

and most of the manifolds im looking at that I want dont have EGR provisions. Will I be missing much by not using one? MI doesnt have emission testing so i dont need to worry bout that.

silicon212
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
EGR reduces NOx emissions by introducing exhaust gas into the intake charge, which reduces peak combustion temperatures. It's not required to make the engine run, but it is required for emissions purposes. If you don't have testing, then you possibly don't need to worry about it - but keep in mind that federal emissions laws hold in all 50 states.

capriceowns
10-11-2006, 11:45 PM
EGR reduces NOx emissions by introducing exhaust gas into the intake charge, which reduces peak combustion temperatures. It's not required to make the engine run, but it is required for emissions purposes. If you don't have testing, then you possibly don't need to worry about it - but keep in mind that federal emissions laws hold in all 50 states.
I see now. But will not having it increase my chances of burning a valve? or is that common with higher compression, mine is only 8.7:1

heres the manifold I want http://holley.com/8016.asp

jveik
10-12-2006, 08:38 AM
dunno...thats a good question though, since im putting an edelbrock rpm airgap on my 383 when i get the cash to buy the rest of the parts (have the shortblock just chillin' in my garage for now)

MT-2500
10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
I see now. But will not having it increase my chances of burning a valve? or is that common with higher compression, mine is only 8.7:1

heres the manifold I want http://holley.com/8016.asp

If the engine is set up for it it needs it.
See if you can catch (Maxwedge) he should know about the 383 engine.
Compression ratio and fuel system may have a lot to do with wheather or not it would be needed on a built up engine.
It feeds exhaust back threw the intake.
Yes if the motor is set up for it and does not get it it could burn a valve or melt down a piston.
A lot of engines will get pre ignition/knocking/pinging if egr valve is not working right.

MT

capriceowns
10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Was there a certain year were every engine following it had EGR?

silicon212
10-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Was there a certain year were every engine following it had EGR?

1973. 1972 was the last year of engines without EGR.

jveik
10-13-2006, 08:35 AM
well, im basically building a motor that chevyhiperformance just did a bit on. they made 523 horses or something like that on pump gas, and they actually used all the parts that i was planning on using, except i am using a smaller cam and carb, which they actually tested that version as well, which means my engine will be making about 477 horses if all else is equal, though i know it will be less since im tuning it. however i dont know whether they were running an egr setup or not. does anyone here happen to know if they did? they ran an edelbrock rpm air gap intake for the test that matched my future motor.

capriceowns
10-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Does the cylinder heads I use depend wether or not I have EGR? or is it the block.

I have a pair of 70cc heads but they were made from 69-76

silicon212
10-13-2006, 03:32 PM
On the Gen I carbureted small block, the EGR was completely contained within the intake manifold. Exhaust gas is drawn from the heat riser under the intake plenum.

capriceowns
10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
On the Gen I carbureted small block, the EGR was completely contained within the intake manifold. Exhaust gas is drawn from the heat riser under the intake plenum.
Would aftermarket exhuast manifolds let me still have EGR? or do the manifolds have nothing to do with EGR. just the intake right?

silicon212
10-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Would aftermarket exhuast manifolds let me still have EGR? or do the manifolds have nothing to do with EGR. just the intake right?

Only the intake - the exhaust passage on these engines is in the cylinder head on the intake side, between the two sets of ports.

capriceowns
10-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Only the intake - the exhaust passage on these engines is in the cylinder head on the intake side, between the two sets of ports.

So I could use my older 70cc heads and a intake with EGR and it will work?

silicon212
10-14-2006, 03:00 AM
So I could use my older 70cc heads and a intake with EGR and it will work?

Yes, considering cars were delivered from the factory that way. The #3991492 heads on my car now are off of a GM Targetmaster 327 c.i. engine (nowadays called "Goodwrench Crate" engine) that was installed by a dealership into a 1967 1/2 ton pickup and never saw EGR before inclusion into my inventory. They've been EGR now for the past 264,000~ miles. Most of that mileage has been with an Edelbrock 3701 performer, as it is now. Prior to that, they did about 195,000~ miles without EGR.

capriceowns
10-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Yes, considering cars were delivered from the factory that way. The #3991492 heads on my car now are off of a GM Targetmaster 327 c.i. engine (nowadays called "Goodwrench Crate" engine) that was installed by a dealership into a 1967 1/2 ton pickup and never saw EGR before inclusion into my inventory. They've been EGR now for the past 264,000~ miles. Most of that mileage has been with an Edelbrock 3701 performer, as it is now. Prior to that, they did about 195,000~ miles without EGR.

well thats good to know, thanks for the help silicon

I found a nice medium rise intake with EGR for my engine from holley now, it should work out nice :) they say its idle-6000 rpm

Blue Bowtie
10-14-2006, 09:41 PM
1973. 1972 was the last year of engines without EGR.

1996 Corvettes did not have EGR in ANY of the 50 states, and were fully emissions legal. They used a longer duration cam and the overlap provided plenty of natural EGR at part throttle conditions (where an EGR valve would be operating) and thus eliminated the need for it.

A lot of vehicles no longer have Air Injection as well. The newer Chevy inline sixes don't even have an idle air control motor. And most engines don't even have a distributor. Except for the PCMs they seem to be getting simpler all the time. In a few years, there will be more engines with no camshafts. One of these days we'll be lucky if we get tires and a steering wheel.

silicon212
10-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Are we talking magnetic levitation and joysticks! Drats, no more crankshafts even!

I did not know that about the '96 Vette. Was that on all of them or the LT4s?

I knew that about the AIR - that's been something that didn't even really become standard until the 80s, and it's been around since the 60s ...

So what do you see cars being in 10 years?

Decipha
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
i hope to see cars running off something other than gasoline, if not i may find myself pedaling a bicycle.

jveik
10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
would a set of AFR heads need egr? they say they are EGR compatible, but i dont think my manifold (RPM air gap) has provisions for that

silicon212
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
would a set of AFR heads need egr? they say they are EGR compatible, but i dont think my manifold (RPM air gap) has provisions for that

"EGR ready" just simply means they have exhaust heat riser passages on the intake side. The Air Gap intake will seal these off. No worries.

jveik
10-23-2006, 08:49 AM
schwing!!!! sounds good to me...

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!